• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Gull ID (1 Viewer)

Φ-Filippos

This bird was seen in January at Limassol, Cyprus. There are Armenian Gulls, Yellow-Legged Gulls and Caspian Gulls around but the immature ones are confusingly alike. I think this one is a 1st-winter Armenian Gull but am not sure.
Any help will be welcome!

Attachments

• Maybe 1st Winter Armenian Gull 15jan 2014 Ladies Mile_smaller sizeN6G3530.jpg
    Maybe 1st Winter Armenian Gull 15jan 2014 Ladies Mile_smaller sizeN6G3530.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 134
hi filippos and welcome to birdforum!

your bird looks very like what i associate with a 1st winter armenian gull in structure (short, stubby bill), overall pale underparts and filigrane scapular markings. do you have more pics with this bird? and other gull pics from your interesting neck of the wood ;)?

Hello
Upper wing scapular, 2nd generation scaler , mc replaced, pale base bill I would suggest 2cy bird, however the new scap. feathers seems too pale for AG and convenient for the resident YLG, so more side-on pics for this gull would help allot to assess the jizz and structure.

Omar

Hi friends,
thanks for your valuable input
Here are some more photos of the same bird
Hope they help!

Attachments

• front view maybe 1st winter Armenian Gull ladies mile.jpg
    front view maybe 1st winter Armenian Gull ladies mile.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 76
  • maybe armenian gull 1st wint_N6G3537.jpg
    maybe armenian gull 1st wint_N6G3537.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 60
  • maybe armenian gull 1st wint_N6G3532.jpg
    maybe armenian gull 1st wint_N6G3532.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 97
still 2cy (female type) armenian gull for me. but separating the two is hard due to individual variation. it could easily be a YLG, but jizz, striation on head and even on breast, overall paleness and more cachi-like scapular pattern strongly suggest armenicus for me.

still 2cy (female type) armenian gull for me. but separating the two is hard due to individual variation. it could easily be a YLG, but jizz, striation on head and even on breast, overall paleness and more cachi-like scapular pattern strongly suggest armenicus for me.

Hi Lou

Well, difficult on matter of variation, the jizz with sloped head rule out Armenian For me, so exclude the gene flow and do mtDNA analysis:)

Omar

Thanks again to both for your input!
I am puzzled with some details that seem to suggest other than what the textbooks suggest about 2ndCY YLG, namely the lack of a pale tip to the bill, not enough white on the edges of the tertials and the greater coverts not being darker than the median coverts.
I should probably also say that according to the records given during those days by the regular birdwatchers for the specific area, AGs where plenty and YLGs very few.

Φ-Filippos;2926286 said:
JanJ thanks for the opinion, much valued.
Your link is very useful!
I think im pretty convinced now that its an Armenian Gull.

Hello

I think it is still YlG and the pic from Israel is quite different in the molt stage of the OP birds, also for the textbook notes regarding 2cy YLG we have revwied the gcv. and there is a quite visible pale tip in your bird in pic.1 of the last set you've posted.

Omar

Hi Lou

Well, difficult on matter of variation, the jizz with sloped head rule out Armenian For me, so exclude the gene flow and do mtDNA analysis:)

Omar

I fail to see why a sloping head profile would necessarily rule out Armenian Gull.
Some photos attached from the breeding colony at Sevan, Armenia, June 2013.
Note variation in head shape.

Attachments

• ArmenianGulls_Sevan_Armenia_20130605_001.JPG
    ArmenianGulls_Sevan_Armenia_20130605_001.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 51
  • ArmenianGulls_Sevan_Armenia_20130605_002.JPG
    ArmenianGulls_Sevan_Armenia_20130605_002.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 69
  • ArmenianGull_(near)ad_Sevan_Armenia_20130605_121.JPG
    ArmenianGull_(near)ad_Sevan_Armenia_20130605_121.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back