Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Are Zeiss victory 8x20 and 10x25 victory phase corrected?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 02:25   #1
nyatt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 86
Are Zeiss victory 8x20 and 10x25 victory phase corrected?

I have been wondering this for a while. The Design Selection compact binoculars from Zeiss clearly state that they have T*P* coatings for transmission and phase correction, but the Victory compacts with the same form factor but pull down eyecups state only T*. Does that mean that they do not have phase corrected coatings on the prisms? Seems strange. Or has Zeiss just decided not to show the P* any more.
Thanks!
nyatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 08:14   #2
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,762
They are phase corrected. Sometime after Zeiss stopped selling roofs with phase-correction, they dropped the "P".

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 09:43   #3
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
They are phase corrected. Sometime after Zeiss stopped selling roofs with phase-correction, they dropped the "P".

Hermann
Herman is absolutely correct apart from a slip of the keyboard: the reference to P* faded away after Zeiss stopped selling roofs without phase-correction.

Catalogues as far back as 2005 do not refer to P* and FLs do not carry a reference to it and neither do HTs, which are not marked with T* either.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 14:35   #4
nyatt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: California
Posts: 86
Thank you. I figured it was some reasoning along those lines, but it is nice to read it from informed folks.
nyatt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 14:45   #5
Alexis Powell
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LY+DG counties, Kansas, USA
Posts: 2,898
They are all phase-coated, but for anyone buying used, note that early production (first few years?) was not dielectric coated, but everything since has been. If I remember correctly, the switch to dielectric coating coincided with the addition of the molded-in Victory Compact name to the rubber armor near the hinge.

--AP
Alexis Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 16:37   #6
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
They are all phase-coated, but for anyone buying used, note that early production (first few years?) was not dielectric coated, but everything since has been. If I remember correctly, the switch to dielectric coating coincided with the addition of the molded-in Victory Compact name to the rubber armor near the hinge.

--AP
Hi Alex

That's a neat bit of info!

I have a copy of a 2005 brochure which refers to the new dielectric coating being available from May that year. The pics don't show the moulded name next to the hinge in the brochure but this doesn't mean much.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th May 2014, 16:45   #7
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Herman is absolutely correct apart from a slip of the keyboard: the reference to P* faded away after Zeiss stopped selling roofs without phase-correction.
Thanks ... :-)

One point to note is that some early phase-coated roofs don't have the "P" on the body of the binocular. Zeiss used all the old bodies and just put a sticker with the "P" on the box. I still have an 8x30 BGAT that *is* phase-coated even though it doesn't say so on the binocular itself.

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th May 2014, 07:56   #8
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Thanks ... :-)

One point to note is that some early phase-coated roofs don't have the "P" on the body of the binocular. Zeiss used all the old bodies and just put a sticker with the "P" on the box. I still have an 8x30 BGAT that *is* phase-coated even though it doesn't say so on the binocular itself.

Hermann
That's an interesting observation Hermann. This probably happened at the same time Zeiss was trying to decide whether to call the phase-correction coating P or P*. Zeiss used both but the coating was the same.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zeiss 8x20 BT* Victory versus Nikon 10x25 LXL [email protected] Binoculars 0 Sunday 20th December 2009 07:09
Leica 10X25 Ultravid as compared to Zeiss 10X25 Victory Tvc15_2000 Leica 26 Tuesday 19th December 2006 23:55

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.38611889 seconds with 18 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54.