• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A big Pipit, a suspect Swift and a tristis type? Paphos last week. (2 Viewers)

KenM

Opinions please.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1690434.jpeg  Bipit 2..jpg
    P1690434.jpeg Bipit 2..jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 169
  • P1690645.jpeg   Swift 2..jpeg
    P1690645.jpeg Swift 2..jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 171
  • P1690833.jpeg  Chiffy 3..jpeg
    P1690833.jpeg Chiffy 3..jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 151
  • P1690836.jpeg  Chiffy 2..jpeg
    P1690836.jpeg Chiffy 2..jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 121
The phyllo shows a clearly broken eyering, that's not a Bonelli's feature. It looks a collybita type but doesn't strike me as a tristis.

I don't think the phyllosc is a 'safe' tristis, although it does look the part in some ways (pale underparts, good super).

Going against it are:

Too much green in the mantle and scaps (some is tolerable in tristis but this is a lot)
Too much yellow in the super (again, some is tolerable in tristis but this is a lot)
Lacks any warm tones on the face
Bare parts don't look strikingly dark enough - although again, there is some variation here
Upper part of eye ring dominates supercilium, rather than the other way round.

Any more pics of the bird Ken? A useful feature at this time of year for tristis is that it should be in moult - so missing/scruffy tertials, tail feathers etc.

I don't think the phyllosc is a 'safe' tristis, although it does look the part in some ways (pale underparts, good super).

Going against it are:

Too much green in the mantle and scaps (some is tolerable in tristis but this is a lot)
Too much yellow in the super (again, some is tolerable in tristis but this is a lot)
Lacks any warm tones on the face
Bare parts don't look strikingly dark enough - although again, there is some variation here
Upper part of eye ring dominates supercilium, rather than the other way round.

Any more pics of the bird Ken? A useful feature at this time of year for tristis is that it should be in moult - so missing/scruffy tertials, tail feathers etc.

The lighting direct and dappled, dependant on the birds position in the tree, altered the cosmetics substantially Mark, ie showing a grey collar and then not, visual ambiguity was the name of the game. I'm aware of the ''Classic'' tristis type, wondered where this might sit across the cline, clearly of an Eastern persuasion and cosmetically quite unlike the partial Leucistic (starboard wing) example shown...last image.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1690829.jpeg  CC 08.jpeg
    P1690829.jpeg CC 08.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 57
  • P1690824.jpeg   CC 09.jpeg
    P1690824.jpeg CC 09.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P1690367.jpeg  Chiffy leucistic wing..jpeg
    P1690367.jpeg Chiffy leucistic wing..jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 44
First two images are the same bird as in the original post, as far as I could make out, it shared this small tree with a Lesser Whitethroat. The third image in the latest post was an entirely different bird.

Cheers

Could be abietinus then I guess. Tristis are variable but I don’t think they can look like this.

I take it that you're not referring to the last image (leucistic), but to the original bird...as I've never knowingly seen abietnus an interesting suggestion, certainly in the right part of the world for one I'd have thought?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back