• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Day in a Liverpool Backyard (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Hi All
What a good day today has been for birds in our backyard, a Wren, a Robin, small flock of House Sparrows, our female Blackbird , Magpies and a few Crows, plus all the usual seagulls and the local flock of Pigeon ( Bill, they have Scouse accents)
Not bad for a small backyard in Liverpool, who says one has to out in the country to enjoy the bird life.

Good Birding PeterK :scribe:

Sounds good Peter. Reminded me of when I was a kid and had a backyard which my mother very effectively changed into a garden just by building up areas of soil. She grew some excellent roses. Anyway the only birds I seem to remember were 'spuggies' and a rare Robin. We had stone stairs down into the yard and I seem to remember we had to dig ourway through snow each winter. Definately a change in climate since then. Your backyard has reminded me of some very happy times.

Cheers

Hi Peter,

I'm trying to imagine what a Scouser Pigeon sounds like, the mind boggles.

It always amazes me when people that I meet tell me that they don't see any birds in their gardens; I can only assume that they don't really look. As I've said before 'birds are everywhere' including the ones in shopping centres even. One of the pleasures of this Board is to hear about the Garden birds, and to be constantly surprised at the differences from place to place.

Would you believe that I only have one Gull sighting in my garden (in 40+ years) and that was one LBBG that landed on the roof for a moment or two (that counts). Lots of them go over and every now and then a flock drop onto the fields opposite, but that's it. Not sure whether I'm envious or not.

It ain't where you are, it's what you do that matters to the birds.

Bill

Yes, you don't have to go far to see birds. And it's interesting to hear what people have in their different types of garden. I have yet to see a flock of Sparrows, only getting them in ones and twos usually. We have Seagulls here in Northampton, but they never come in my garden. They're on the aerials across the road. Do you get Pied Wagtails in Liverpool? I've spotted them in car parks sometimes, but lately they seem to be about more. I had one on the garden path, first time ever in my garden, and then went out and saw two in the road. The next day I saw one in another road. Only ever seen them on man made surfaces, so that's another bird you don't need to go into the countryside for.

bill moss said:
Hi Peter,

I'm trying to imagine what a Scouser Pigeon sounds like, the mind boggles.

It always amazes me when people that I meet tell me that they don't see any birds in their gardens; I can only assume that they don't really look. As I've said before 'birds are everywhere' including the ones in shopping centres even. One of the pleasures of this Board is to hear about the Garden birds, and to be constantly surprised at the differences from place to place.

Would you believe that I only have one Gull sighting in my garden (in 40+ years) and that was one LBBG that landed on the roof for a moment or two (that counts). Lots of them go over and every now and then a flock drop onto the fields opposite, but that's it. Not sure whether I'm envious or not.

It ain't where you are, it's what you do that matters to the birds.

Bill
Believe me Bill, you are NOT envious!
Every now and then herring gulls try to land on my birdtable (without a roof), they are the one bird I chase off. If I allowed one to feed I'd have every gull in Dover in the garden and nothing else, not to mention some very cross neighbours :storm:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back