• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

Cheers Simon, i have'nt knowingly bumped into you but when i do please say hi so i can put a name to a face. I do'nt know who it was i passed the other day but i did recognise his face?

Steve - i do'nt take Birdwatch but i'll try and remember to skank a view in John Menzies @ Stourbridge. Eric only twitches stuff he needs unless there's a gratis lift (wish i had that arrangement).

Laurie:t:

Cheers Simon, i have'nt knowingly bumped into you but when i do please say hi so i can put a name to a face. I do'nt know who it was i passed the other day but i did recognise his face?

Steve - i do'nt take Birdwatch but i'll try and remember to skank a view in John Menzies @ Stourbridge. Eric only twitches stuff he needs unless there's a gratis lift (wish i had that arrangement).

I'm pretty sure it him :t:

two of the locals, Des and Mervyn had a Black Tailed Godwit briefly on the middle pool Saturday lunch time, only the 3rd record ever

Just the usual suspects around pools this morning, not even any common terns, although the dropping water level on the fens pool is looking good to turn something up

Popped in ystda for an hour at about 1300 - nothing of note except for a group of bathing locals c/w blankets, picnicky stuff etc - not a pretty sight and definately the most obese image of late.........I do'nt think i will bother on Sundays midweek is quieter.

2 Arctic Terns Grove Pool early am on 1st Aug and 3 Common Terns on Fens Pool, per Ken Ball, only 2 commons present later.

A quick visit 1100-1200 yesterday produced an adult and juvenile Common Tern on Fens Pool and a singing Reed Warbler at the 'top' end of the Middle Pool.....

Theirs been a Black Tailed Godwit present on site with apparently an injured wing for 2 days, although I have not been myself, simon

The Black Tailed Godwit showing well in the NE corner of Fens Pool where the stream runs in this morning, it can be elusive when feeding in the vegetation. It has got a slightly damaged wing but can fly short distances, eg the island nearby. Also Female Teal, 4 Lesser Whitethroats, 2 Grey Wags, Thanks Simon

FENS POOLS 2 MEGAS. After being on site since dawn with not much to show for my efforts, I was counting the Tufties on Grove Pool at 8.25am while thinking about leaving, when the gulls started to mass panic, I turned around and was confronted by an adult pale type Arctic Skua arriving from the north east, the bird harassed the gulls briefly, did 2 circuits low around the pool and then departed south westwards, I then walked up to the Fens Pool and while stood on the point their noticed 3 swans flying in from the south at about 9am, as they came closer I could see they were Whoopers, these birds then circled low around Fens Pool before continuing north. Also 6 Teal on Fens, 4 Ravens and c750+ redwings over. Finally found another good bird after many hours of local patch footwork, Cheers Si

Hi Phil, the problem I find around Russells Hall Estate/Fens Pools/Barrow Hill is that the rares don't usually hang around long enough for any one else to see them, and of course being small urban reserves theirs not usually any other birders present. Then again on the other hand I have had some good stayers that many people have enjoyed eg Red Backed Shrike and sorry to mention the Wryneck again phil, cheers si

Well done Simon and following hard on the heels of th Belvide Bonxies, you're right about stuff not hanging around - i remember (30 years ago) one misty May morning just after first light hearing the distinct rasps of a couple of Sandwich Terns that just came in from the North, flew the length of the Middle pool and away to the South, The Great Northern Diver, now at least that stopped during the freeze.....

Hi Laurie, I finally caught up with Bonxie for my WMBC list on Friday at Belvide which was probably my biggest bogie bird for the region, with the added bonus of Grey Phalarope and late Wood Sandpiper, so the Arctic Skua made a good double. Nothing fresh in this morning during a 4 hour visit. Just back from dipping on a RB Merg at Bartley Res. The Arctic Skua was my second record for the pools, with the other being in july 1998 on a murky morning, I have also had a flock of 5 Arctics over nearby Barrow Hill Quarry Pool in aug 1999, but this is the first this century (ps that does sound strange), also on your Sarnie Terns, ive also had 3 records involving a party of 5 and 2 singles over the years of these and also 2 single Little Terns and quite a few Arctics and Blacks, but most of these have not hung around any longer than a few minutes except 1 Sandwich which stayed 2 days during mar 2004.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back