• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Televid 82 mm (1 Viewer)

Some interesting blurb from the latest issue of Birdwatching magazine which contained an advertisement feature about the scopes :-

blurb

Is it talking about something similar to a fisheye effect but with amazing clarity, ideas anyone?
Jaff

No, it is 'wide-angled' in verbose marketing speak.

Ilkka ;)

I have heard that the new 'Leica Televid' 82 and 65 scope won't accept the current range of eye-piece's, just wondering if anyone else has information to verify this?

Cheers Dougie

The new system is all new, and will not accept the current eyepieces.

Quote: 'What is so potentially interesting is a new viewing experience they can deliver whereby the scope extends your vision to your birding subject and then allows you a wide aspect. It is a bit like spotting a room in a distant building and then being able to see around that room, as if you were there, from one fixed scope position. This will be a very new type of viewing experience, almost feeling as though you are amongst birds as you view them from afar.'

Pay no attention to this. It is simply the German marketing people getting carried away, a source within Leica is embarrassed to report. This is what happens when the marketing power is taken away from the UK Leica guys. The new scopes are prismatic scopes and have no unusual qualities that defy physical laws.
I think what they could mean (no more than a guess) is that the new eyepieces are a little wider field than the current ones (a bit like a Nagler eyepiece), and have better correction for coma, field curvature and distortion. The overall image then being wider and flatter. I wonder if this has anything to do with the patent on the Nagler design running out? Hmmm. Anyone know how many years a patent is good for?

If the feeling is like 'being amongst the birds' when we view them from afar, then in reality it should be like the naked eye sees them; A bird or two in the centre of the vision field in clear focus, everything else not in focus.
From this it points to a Nagler type design where a wide flat field is possible, and it is possible to look around the field without having to move the scope to get a clear image by bringing edge detail into the centre.
Old military optical design, which was redesigned and patented by Al Nager in the early 80's, and now possibly free for others to copy. The Chinese have being doing it for at least five years, but then the Chinese don't usually pay much attention to patents.

andytyle

Thanks guys. I had my suspicions about what it was saying and you've confirmed it for me, PR gone mad!

They might be referring to the new zoom which has less zoom range and a wider field. Brilliant IMO. Assuming it performs and I am sure it will.

They might be referring to the new zoom which has less zoom range and a wider field.

I think so too. From what I have seen, there is nothing revolutionary about the specs of the new eyepieces... EXCEPT huge apparent field-of-view of the 25-50x - for a zoom. If the eye-relief stays good over the entire zoom range, now THAT is worth bragging about. :t:

Fields of view

New (Televid 82)
32xWW: 2,3°
25-50x (WW Asph): 2.35-1.6° (AFOV 58.75-80°)
20-60x (zoom): 2.0-1.2°

Old (Televid 77)
20xWW: 3.4°
32xWW: 2.3°
20-60x (zoom): 1.9-1.2°

Zeiss 20-60x: 2.5-1.1°
Kowa 20-60x: 2.4-1.1°

Best regards,

ER-obsessed Ilkka ;)

The December Birdwatching magazine has another 'advertorial' (an advert made to look like editorial), for Leica. This time it is not so silly, although we are commanded to stop using various bits of clothing to clean lenses. 'This has to stop' apparently.

More from the German marketing people?

Nature is nature, the fact they describe it as using our Leicas to view 'UK Nature' is a bit of a giveaway.

All good amusing fun.

Clean your lenses with care! Of course you know ze penalty should you fail!

andytyle

So is the advice to let the lens stay dirty that way they will not be damaged!!!

Hmm, or " we have vays ant meants of cleaning ze lenzs but it is a secret"

Does this mean you can't lick & wipe your objective on a seawatch?!

Or do we get a service manager from Leica to clean your lens every 5 minutes?

Greetings, Ronald

Quote: 'Or do we get a service manager from Leica to clean your lens every 5 minutes?'

If they want to stop the use of clothing in the field to wipe lenses, then they may have to introduce a policy of supplying a personal service operative with every pair of Ultravids. I suppose they would be trained to just walk behind at a discreet distance, wearing a brown warehouse coat. They would interrupt occasionally with a "Please allow me sir".

andytyle

Quote: 'Or do we get a service manager from Leica to clean your lens every 5 minutes?'

If they want to stop the use of clothing in the field to wipe lenses, then they may have to introduce a policy of supplying a personal service operative with every pair of Ultravids. I suppose they would be trained to just walk behind at a discreet distance, wearing a brown warehouse coat. They would interrupt occasionally with a "Please allow me sir".

andytyle

3:)

I'd swap my Zeiss for a Leica to see this happen!

Quote: 'For a reasonable fee, I´ll clean everyone´s scopes. It´s a career option, no? Could make a fortune next time some bizarre Murrelet shows up in the UK.'

What method do you employ to take advantage of the bending of time, in order to clean everyone's Ultravid, when needed, in the field, at the same time? The method used by the Japanese character in "Heroes"? An Einstein Rosen bridge? The Santa method?
This is indeed a great career option! You do it and I'll be your manager.
Anyone not familiar with the Santa method (or more correctly, the flawed Santa method), just yell, and I'll post it. It is seasonally relevant after all.

andytyle

What method do you employ to take advantage of the bending of time, in order to clean everyone's Ultravid, when needed, in the field, at the same time? The method used by the Japanese character in "Heroes"? An Einstein Rosen bridge? The Santa method?
This is indeed a great career option! You do it and I'll be your manager.
Anyone not familiar with the Santa method (or more correctly, the flawed Santa method), just yell, and I'll post it. It is seasonally relevant after all.

andytyle
Hmmm. Good point, Andy, I hadn´t done my Market Research. I could hire you to do a spot of Management Consultancy. Alternatively I could turn up with a bucket of dirty water and a squeegee mop and start cleaning lenses, unsolicited, until people give me tips to go away.

It is simply the German marketing people getting carried away, a source within Leica is embarrassed to report. This is what happens when the marketing power is taken away from the UK Leica guys.

So, in a perfect world we need Germans to manufacture the ultimate optics, British people for marketing... and then Finns to put <0.1€ accessories* to them to make the product actually work.

Ilkka 8-P

*cable ties & branches of wood="Finnsticks"

Quote: 'So, in a perfect world we need Germans to manufacture the ultimate optics, British people for marketing... and then Finns to put <0.1€ accessories* to them to make the product actually work.

Ilkka

*cable ties & branches of wood="Finnsticks"

Yes, because words and meaning are often lost in translation, with sometimes hilarious results. I guess its a culture thing, if we want to generalise. Brits are known within some scientific circles as good original designers and inventors, successful product developers, but we appear to be crap at manufacturing consumer goods at high and consistent levels. Germany and Japan have a reputation as the best manufacturers. Why is this? Maybe its a cultural phenomenon due to language, or maybe its social structure or conditioning. I have always purchased German cars (VW) because doing some research led me to the conclusion that the quality of engineering and design, plus quality control and attention to detail was obvious with German cars in general. The MkI and II Golfs and Jettas were extremely well engineered, as were BMW and Mercs. Porsches in particular are virtually untouchable in the context of performance and engineering quality. So, German car designers and engineers set out to design and make something to be as good as it could be, and succeeded. They had no cultural barriers placed in their way by their society or their government. In Britain, we have the will (well some of us do anyway), to succeed, but there seems to be something about our industrial sociology that ultimately prevents it. Is this a consequence of empire? A lethargy born out of "well we were industrial masters of the world at one time, maybe we don't need to try anymore"? Who knows.
However, I have noticed that when language and meaning is translated in context with marketing statements, it rarely comes across as meaningful in the correct sense. It's often completely "uncool", and misses the point.
So, Brits and Americans to do the marketing, Germans and Japanese to manufacture and the Finns to add cable ties and Finnsticks???? What on Earth is a Finnstick?

For my own part, I am quite content to know Finland as the place God comes from, or rather came from.

andytyle

We Brits used to be world famous manufacturers. Some of the best watches were made here, and many innovations came from Britain such as the detached lever escapement (Thomas Mudge?) which was refined into the Swiss lever escapement that we see in modern wrist watches. And what about I.K. Brunel? Thomas Telford? We made steam engines, looms and so on and exported them all over the world. We even made quality cameras and lenses in the 20'th century.

But we seem less good at high volume manufacturing. My view is that we are lousy managers, and do not know how to think to the future.

So, Brits and Americans to do the marketing, Germans and Japanese to manufacture and the Finns to add cable ties and Finnsticks???? What on Earth is a Finnstick?

Andy,

As interesting as it would be, my English is not good enough for me to go too deeply into cultural discussions - but I certainly agree with you about the cars. I think it is a pity that Brits haven't been able to make their car business very profitable. Well, we Finns do have Nokia, but prior to that our technological tradition was closer to low-profit, bulk products like wood (Finnsticks) and components for other industries (cable ties). And if you ask me, the success of Nokia was actually not based on better products (than, say, Ericsson's) but better branding. They must have used British-American marketing... our own marketing geniuses have tried to sell "Rape"-branded crackers in the USA (and not very successfully). 3:)

BTW, Finnstick is a DIY binocular monopod made from almost anything from tree branches to broken ice-hockey sticks. The name was probably given by some foreigner, who saw many Finnish birdwatchers keeping their binoculars on these strange-looking sticks. You may find some threads about them (or Elkcub's modification "FISMO") on this forum. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back