• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why don’t binocular manufacturers use something like this ? (1 Viewer)

Chosun, post 20,
I have to write this in my hiding place, since the black van arrived already and the men in it look kind of grim.....their guns are loaded with prism shaped bullets..
I do not know about all producers, but from some I know that they do get products from their competitors or they buy it. Do not forget that there often are persons who first work in one company but leave there to go to another, see Dobler, who started at Swarovski and went from Leica to Zeiss, where he worked to design the SF, while at Swarovski he was involved in the EL.
Gijs van Ginkel

Reverse engineering is part of what everyone does, and also a lot of dEsign work is done by guns for hire in all tech industries.

I think the issue with new blacks is called “not invented here”. And one cannot expect all subcontractors to change their machinery to do new stuff

eronald, post 22,
You are quite right, when the company that used to make the housing for the Zeiss 8x56 Dialyt stopped, the production for that binocular stopped also.
Gijs van Ginkel

VANTAblack is fragile and toxic from the nanotubes. There are other patterned surface blacks that are very good too and the best paints are pretty good. Good design and baffles are also help too. Near grazing incidence it is very hard to make things really low reflectance. Some camera lenses have special “nano coatings” that have especially low scatter.... the DragonFly telescope exploited these to discover very low surface brightness galaxies.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back