• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Youtube video on Zeiss Quality. (1 Viewer)

Ok, let us get back to the regular scheduled program / "Youtube video on Zeiss Quality"
If you insist.

My issue with this guy is his methodology. You seemingly agree with him about his QC issues with these Zeiss bins, that's OK but I'll remind you even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. Hell, even I've had complaints about Zeiss' quality in my limited experience with them.

No, the problem is him. His lack of understanding, communication, and anything close to scientific methodology. He's seemingly new at this or a slow learner, but I don't think anyone here asked him to do this sort of thing and he's probably not educating anyone out there. He does other videos you should know, and they're of the same quality or worse. Just because the guy goes through the motions doesn't mean he knows something that should be passed along. I-M-O.

Fine I will give you that Kevin, and your quote " Just because the guy goes through the motions doesn't mean he knows something that should be passed along." is similar of stuff that gets passed around here also. I just wanted to make my point.

Fine I will give you that Kevin, and your quote " Just because the guy goes through the motions doesn't mean he knows something that should be passed along." is similar of stuff that gets passed around here also. I just wanted to make my point.

While that's certainly true, at times, the general level of discourse around here is pretty good I think. People tend to be careful with what they say and often defer to the resident experts, of which we have a few.

IMO giving this YouTube guy much credence is somewhat disrespectful of our knowledgeable members. It lowers the bar, so to speak.

B :) I need a drink...

For those who complain.....why not do this yourself? I applaud anyone who provides knowledge and this guy does a nice visual representation and comparison.

Sorry Kevin I do not drink the kool-aid of the so called resident experts, I might read some material, but I generally come to my own conclusions. So sorry to have offended the knowledgeable members on here.

Sorry Kevin I do not drink the kool-aid of the so called resident experts, I might read some material, but I generally come to my own conclusions. So sorry to have offended the knowledgeable members on here.

We might just be talking about different people.
As far as your "apology", those were my thoughts and words, not anyone else.

You know, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Think I'd rather subscribe to Kim Kardashian, who is slightly less irritating; certainly I've never heard her witter on about ability to see the ultraviolet spectrum, or sparkle of Leica's schott glass, or "guess that" one binocular may have a better prism than another :-O

The shaking camera is nausea inducing, and the frenetic, chattery style is personally unappealing. I watched a few minutes of two different videos, didn't get anything from them personally, and didn't care to watch further.

He is pretty knowledgeable about binoculars though regardless of his style. He seems to know quite a bit about the different characteristics and weaknesses of the brands. He talks about rolling ball and flat field design, so he is no dummy. I agree with Dries in that I don't drink the kool-aid of the resident experts and I come to my own conclusions also. There is a place for reviews like this because they are more understandable to the amateur birder, and he shouldn't be looked down on because he doesn't explain all the optical theory behind his opinions. Not everybody wants to know or cares what AMD is or what the distortion profile of a certain binocular is. My field is Microbiology so optics are not my area of expertise and I don't feel the need to understand every theory behind optical design. It is fine that others like to discuss those things but I tend to avoid those discussions because they don't really interest me. If I want to read about Optical Engineering I can check a book out of the library. I like Allbinos because they are one of the few review sites that actually do some objective testing, and they are about as technical as I want. I don't really think there is a lot of interest in optical theory on Bird Forum and when a few people take the thread in that direction it usually dies because it goes over most of the average birders heads. It was kind of like the Binocular Cutaways thread that died out because only a few people are really interested in it. Dries suggested a sub-forum for technical optical subjects and I think that might be a good idea. Call it the "Technical Sub-Forum on Optics."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back