• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Detached collar on my Zeiss 8x42 HT (1 Viewer)

Sollas

I've just noticed that the collar containing the serial number on my Zeiss 8x42 HT's has come detached (see image attached). Looks like the superglue or resin that they use has dried out.

Binoculars are 2 and 1/2 years old and within warranty. Have to say I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that this should happen. Wouldn't have expected this to happen on a binocular of this age and quality.

Should I send this back to my local dealer or back to Zeiss UK? I have all the necessary paperwork.

Any help or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 222
This looks like a DIY operation; anyway I would contact either the dealer or Zeiss UK and ask for advice before doing anything.

Mate of mine dropped his, from about 3’ onto the kitchen floor, and they broke in 2! This is the second pair i have heard of doing that. Has contacted the dealer who has told him that there appears to have been problems with cracked resin issues.....

Laurie:t:

Hi Sollas,

If you are re-sticking it yourself I would not recommend using superglue (although this is what would have been used).

Try Evostick or similar. It gives a bit more leeway for positioning and if you get it anywhere else on the binocular you can clean it off !!!

Removing the eyecup first will make it easier.

Or.........contact me at East Coast Binocular Repairs [email protected]

BTW........I do not know of any "cracked resin issues"

Gary.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the responses and advice guys. Always appreciated.

Gary, tbh I didn’t think superglue would be suitable. I have however fired off a mail to my dealer and Zeiss UK asking for the way forward. So hopefully I’ll get a response on Monday.

I’d rather not tamper with it myself ..... just in case I accidentally get resin anywhere else on the bin itself.

I’ve not doubt Zeiss will sort but will keep you in the loop. Many thanks for touching base.

Hi,

As I am the repair centre for Zeiss in the UK I will probably be contacting you tomorrow then.

Speak soon.

Gary.

Fairly disappointed not to have heard anything back from either Zeiss or my local dealer. Not even as much as an acknowledgement. So much for customer service!!

Fairly disappointed not to have heard anything back from either Zeiss or my local dealer. Not even as much as an acknowledgement. So much for customer service!!

Hi,

East Coast Binocular Repairs is the service centre for Zeiss in the UK.

I posted here on Saturday 27th giving you my contact number.

Gary.

Hi Gary
Yes, I was aware of that, many thanks.

I’ve now spoken with my dealer Viking Optical who will organise the return through them as this keeps it all simple and tidy. No doubt they will arrive with you shortly for your expert assessment.

Any issues let me know.

Thanks again for your prompt action.

Sollas

Many thanks for your

Hi,

If you have not yet sent it why not send it direct to me.

That way it will only involve postage 2 ways.

If you send it to Viking then they will send it to me and then I will have to send it back to Viking for them to post back to you. It will cost Viking a lot of postage just for being the middleman.

Gary

It

Hi Gary

I would but I've not had any formal communication from Zeiss to do this, who incidentally were copied in to the original email and to date have still not replied.

Vikings' cost is not my concern. I would also have to shoulder the cost and hassle to ensure appropriate packaging and insurance in order to return this to you. Viking have done the right thing in at least formally replying and providing guidance for me.

Gary, You may well be very proficient in what you do but unfortunately it's Zeiss UK who should have provided prompt instruction as to the correct protocol for me to follow. At least Viking have done the honourable thing as far as I can see.

Regards
Sollas

I've just noticed that the collar containing the serial number on my Zeiss 8x42 HT's has come detached (see image attached). Looks like the superglue or resin that they use has dried out.

Binoculars are 2 and 1/2 years old and within warranty. Have to say I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that this should happen. Wouldn't have expected this to happen on a binocular of this age and quality.

Should I send this back to my local dealer or back to Zeiss UK? I have all the necessary paperwork.

Any help or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Have these been repaired yet? Would have thought you might have updated the thread one way or another.

Thank you.

Many thanks for the repair Gary. All seems well and I see you gave the optics a nice clean also.

Much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back