• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Birwatching (1 Viewer)

Bird19189

Hello guys new here; looking for some advice:

I currently have up to 20 species of birds visit my garden per day using my 10 feeders/stations... but wish to expanse this... so suggestions please for...

food types
plant types

Also, hopefully soon, I wish to add a pond to my garden...... is there any plants or water food I can attempt to try and persuade more water based birds to my garden??

Also I am quite keen on other wildlife so other footnotes would be helpful.....
we have squirrels, bats and badgers thus far..... I am incredibly keen on water wildlife once I get my pond

Can you supply us with a bit more info.

What type of food you you have currently?
Are there and specific species you would like to attract?
What is your garden like - grass/concrete/mature trees etc.?

That would help with the advice :)

If you would like to attract amphibians might I suggest you add a boggy area next to your pond? This helps them overwinter. There are lots of examples on the web, but I have had some success in past gardens by extending a flexible liner under some soil next to the pond and planting it up with semi-aquatic native plants.

Feed-wise I currently use:

Peanut and Cherry suet blocks
Niger Seeds
Nuts, mixed
Seed
Bread
Mealworm
and food scraps

Once I install my pond; I would like to get more "water birds" in the garden, not ducks, but say reed warblers, bunting etc etc
A very varied type of birdlist is ultimately required.

Mt species list thus far is: Blackbird, Chaffinch, Carrion Crow, Collared Dove, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Black-Headed and Leser Black-Backed Gulls, Jackdaw, Jay, Magpie, Nuthatch, Robins, Pigeons, Thrushes, Blue, Great and LT Tits, Grey Wagtail, GS Woodpecker and wrens.

Daily I get 13-16 species daily I would like to increase this to 25+

The garden is wild unkept lawn, various species of trees either sideof the garden and a evergreen woodland at the end of the garden. All our neighbours have similar style big gardens approx., 130 x 60 foot. Also, we have various green areas near by, cemetery, national parks, woodlands fields and farmland.

Wouldlike to aim for herons and kingfishers once the pond is installed.

So food and plant types is the key for me here I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back