• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abel Erasmus, Graskop & Blyde Info required (1 Viewer)

Johnnie Lee

Hi

I will be visiting RSA in December / January with my family, mainly self-driving in Kruger. We also have three nights in the Graskop / Blyde River area. It is a family holiday so I am slightly restricted on my birding activities!

I have a few target species:

Taita Falcon(appears to be not as reliable as formerly - also what is the best strategy for connecting & is the curio seller still around who knows where the bird may be?)

S. Bald Ibis

Blue Swallow ( am assuming this is pretty much impossible but thought I would check!)

Any information on good birding spots that I can fit in during a couple of hours etc. would be more than welcome - also the main tourist spots in Blyde as no doubt we will be there!

Thank you

John

Taita Falcon has gone, the vendors wife is still there but a pair of Peregrines moved in to the valley and either displaced or killed the Falcons.

S Bald Ibis is gettable at the Limpopo university and if you find a guide, it's not far to the Short-clawed Lark site.

Blue Swallow is probably extinct in South Africa.

Mount Sheba is not far from Graskop, Orange Ground Thrush at dawn.

A

This is the number I had for Mike at the Taita site, you can call when you get there to ask for an update.

+27792611559

If you get good weather at Mt Sheba, there's a pool and bar etc where you can leave the Mrs for an hour or two.

I suggest you get this book, it has a great, pull out map with all sites marked, you'll easily plan a few things if you use this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-A...1&sr=1-1&keywords=southern+african+birdfinder

A

Last edited:
Taita Falcon has gone, the vendors wife is still there but a pair of Peregrines moved in to the valley and either displaced or killed the Falcons.

S Bald Ibis is gettable at the Limpopo university and if you find a guide, it's not far to the Short-clawed Lark site.

Blue Swallow is probably extinct in South Africa.

Mount Sheba is not far from Graskop, Orange Ground Thrush at dawn.

A

Fake news, I'm afraid.

The Taita Falcons are still present as of yesterday, at least, and Blue Swallow is not extinct in South Africa.

Fake news, I'm afraid.

The Taita Falcons are still present as of yesterday, at least, and Blue Swallow is not extinct in South Africa.

So where is Blue Swallow to be reliably found, a great many people would like to know?

There's a place in Swaziland I think where they still might occur.

A

Last edited:

Anyone can make a report to e-bird, it's like looking at pics on Google, a lot of errors, have you seen Blue Swallow in the last two years?

There are lots of erroneous reports on e-bird due to the inexperience of observers, I've seen people uploading stuff that was totally wrong when I was in Costa Rica this year.

Who had the Falcon yesterday?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back