• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guides in Croatia & sites near Split (1 Viewer)

nowhereblue

Hi there

Am going in late May to Croatia and staying in Trogir near to Split for 10 days.

Was interested if anyone knew any guides who work in the area who might do one or possibly 2 days guiding?

Also, am interested if anyone knows any sites for any of the following nearby:

Olive Tree Warbler
Black Headed Bunting
Olivaceous Warbler
Lanner falcon
Sombre tit
Rock nuthatch

Any help much appreciated !

Many thanks

Michael

Hi - I'm going to Croatia next week and I'm also staying near Split, I don't know of any guides but if I see any of those species I will let you know.

Regards

Phil

Hi there

Am going in late May to Croatia and staying in Trogir near to Split for 10 days.

Was interested if anyone knew any guides who work in the area who might do one or possibly 2 days guiding?

Also, am interested if anyone knows any sites for any of the following nearby:

Olive Tree Warbler
Black Headed Bunting
Olivaceous Warbler
Lanner falcon
Sombre tit
Rock nuthatch

Any help much appreciated !

Many thanks

Michael

Cheers thanks Phil - look forward to hearing how you get on !

M

Penultimate day of the holiday and the birding has been brilliant the highlights being - Rock Partridge, Pygmy Cormorant, Great Reed wblr, Eastern Orphean, Eastern Sub Alp, Eastern BE Wheatear, Collared fly, Grey headed W’pecker, Honey Buzzard, Wryneck, Golden Oriole, Blue Rock Thrush, Little Bittern etc....
We are based at Starigrad Paklenica near Zadar and have also visited Plitvice for 2 days.
If you need any detailed directions for any of the above let me know.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

Very jealous - amazing list! You were a bit further north than I was able to get to on our family holiday but great range of species there!

M

We had a great stay near Trogir in Seget Vranjica. We had Wryneck, Golden Orioles, Subalpine Warbler, Turtle doves, nightingale, Hoopoe, honey buzzard, Shag and Pallid Swifts from the campsite. I managed a half day trip with an excellent local guide called Robert Crnković based in Trogir. With his help we managed to get Olive Tree Warbler (inc 3 singing males), Black Headed Bunting, Melodious Warbler, Orphean Warbler, Rose Coloured Starling, Calandra Lark, Tawny Pipit, Short Toed Lark, Spanish Sparrow, Woodlark and Cirl Bunting all in one morning. On the butterfly front we got Nettle Tree Butterfly and Black Veined Whites.

Robert had some breeding sites near to Trogir for Sombre tit which we tried to get but didn't have enough time for.

Was so impressed by the area though for wildlife. I didn't have time to look but Robert informs me if you know where to look there are Rock Partridge and Rock Nuthatch in the hills above Seget Vranjica / Donji etc.

From my initial list seems that Lanner falcon are incredibly rare in Croatia so you're unlikely to see them but for Olivaceous Warbler there are sites near Trogir / Split although it's near the northern tip of their breeding range so not always easy to see.

You can contact Robert via Sunshine Tours on [email protected] or PM me for his contact details.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back