• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD compact binoculars (1 Viewer)

Not seen them though they do seem to be the first good 8x20 from a Chinese(?) OEM. With ED objectives.

The 8x20 is 7.9oz and the 10x25 is 8.6oz. Very good weights too..

They appear to be double hinged.

Rather limited FOV but that keeps the weight down.

8 x 20 specification
Magnification 8x; Lens diameter (mm) 20; Exit pupil (mm) 2.56; Eye relief (mm) 15.8; Field of view (degrees) 6.8; Close focus (m) 1.6; Height (mm) 97; Width (mm) 62; Weight (g) 224

10 x 25 specification
Magnification 10x; Lens diameter (mm) 25; Exit pupil (mm) 2.56; Eye relief (mm) 15.5; Field of view (degrees) 5.4; Close focus (m) 1.6; Height (mm) 112; Width (mm) 62; Weight (g) 245

This pocket sized binocular still manages to retain all of the features of the full size HD binoculars which make the performance so outstanding.

Fully waterproof
Extra low dispersion (ED) glass objective lenses
Super high reflective prisms
Water repellent coatings to external lens surfaces
Magnesium alloy body castings for strength and lightness
Supplied with high quality leather case
10 year warranty

Paskman , - As far as I can ascertain The RSPB reserve at Pulbrough Brooks does not seem to be very far from you, and they sell RSPB optics. Why not contact them for advice and possibly a demo.:eek!:

I've looked at them (at Dungeness) and they seemed OK optically. However, I find such double-hinge designs almost impossible to use. If very small size isn't your absolute priority I think you'd get a more ergonomic instrument if you go for a reverse porro design. They're a bit bulkier, scarcely any heavier and can be as good or better oprtically than more expensive roof designs. If I was after a small design I'd also look closely at some of the better 8x28 designs (all roofs I think) which are only a little heavier (c350g vs 224g) and the larger OG should help the image. (Vortex seems a good company and I think Pentax do a decent instrument). Another option would be Opticron Discovery 8x32s which are very light weight for this configuration at 391g.

Finally, check on the RSPB webpage for the Optics Events at Dungeness - the chap who runs them is very helpful and knowledgable,

you'd get a more ergonomic instrument if you go for a reverse porro design

But not a pocketable one. And that, after all, is what the 8x20 bins are all about. That extra weight and size makes all the difference in which pocket these will fit into.

Of course if you don't want a pocketable bin then clearly go for the bigger apertures and reverse porros. But the whole point of these bins is for you to take them with you when you wouldn't take an ordinary bin with you. Best of all (for the true obsessive) is a bin you can always take with you: you never know what you'll see.

Interesting too that on the "what ZR does next" thread this 8x20 format of high quality, very small and light bins have been requested a few times.

In fact I think it's the only sensible small size class as once one gets to 8x25 size (which is also fiddly and double hinged) one thinks why not 8x32 (the next good set of compromises up).

[Vortex and] Pentax do a decent instrument

It's an OK view and the Pentax has a narrow FOV at 5.5° (that's 1.3° less than the 8x20) so is rather less usable in the field. And is in a rather different (jacket) pockatable class.

However, I find such double-hinge designs almost impossible to use.

I don't find them impossible to use but I do prefer the Zeiss Victory's single hinge (though folded it's a little larger -- another compromise).

Do you use the AP tip for setting the IPD of compact double hinges? Set one hinge open to the stop. Then adjust the IPD by moving the other barrel. Almost as easy to use as a single hinge with just one extra step.

Do these bins have stop on the IPD setting?

Last edited:
John/Kevin,

Yes it is the small size I am looking at - I already have 8x30 EIIs, 8x32 Opticron Imagics and 6.5x21 Papillo's. I want something (that won't break the bank) that I can put into a pocket/work bag on an every day basis for birds, as well as take to the footie and concerts. I am spoilt by the quality of the bins I currently own (I used to own a pair of SLCs) - hence the quality requirement. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back