• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland flowers ID (1 Viewer)

Haven't been here for a while, but going back a while your Sea Mayweed is that as the leaves are quite fleshy compared to the inland types. There's still Mayweeds in flower in the field edges so you may be able to photo one and compare with your sea Mayweed.
Dave

OK, here we go again :) ....another Spring, another lesson in flower identification!

So, a walk through a local woodland gave me my first unknown(s) of the year....

Three photos:

For the yellow flower (pics 1 & 2), I thought possibly marsh marigold, but perhaps there are too many petals, and the environment might not be quite right.... in sparse mixed woodland.

But then I found several patches of very similar leaves by a pond in the middle of the woodland. These leaves were actually on a part of the ground that is occasionally inundated by the pond.... so possibly some kind of water lily...???!

So, are these photos of the same species, or different, and any thoughts on ID?

Thanks!

Attachments

• CCWflower1.jpg
    CCWflower1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 181
  • CCWflower2.jpg
    CCWflower2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 162
  • CCWleaves1.jpg
    CCWleaves1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 190
Apparently its changed back again! Spotted this on the Plantlife website recently. Think it was in the Trevor Dines article...

If that's the case it wasn't Ficaria for long then! Scientific names change so much these days. I remember in the recent British Wildlife one particular taxon (can't remember which) was given one name in one report and another elsewhere in the same edition-no wonder it's impossible to keep up!

OK, a couple from the coast this weekend. I am thinking that the first is Common Scurvy-grass (with cabbage-smelling leaves!) and the second and third are of Common Mouse-ear (although I wondered about Little Mouse ear)

Thanks!

Attachments

• csg.jpg
    csg.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 100
  • cme.jpg
    cme.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 86
  • cme2.jpg
    cme2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 86
Thanks... I don't know why I dismissed chickweed for the second one, as it looks just right! Oh well, I'll get there....

IN fact, here are the latest batch.

The first I think could be honesty, which I can honestly(!) say I've never seen in flower, only the well-known seed pods.

Secondly, a forget-me-not, but which one? I'm pretty sure it's wood forget-me-not (it was in a wood...), but me being sure means nothing!

Next, these delicate white flowers look to be wood sorrel to me....?

The first three were in a small deciduous copse in rural Northumberland.

And finally one from a marshy verge next to a large forestry plantation, a violet, which I'm guessing is heath dog violet, although the leaves don't quite look right compared to my field guide.

Attachments

• Longwitton_1.jpg
    Longwitton_1.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Longwitton_2.jpg
    Longwitton_2.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Longwitton_3.jpg
    Longwitton_3.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Harwood_1.jpg
    Harwood_1.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 84
For viola photos (violets) try to take photos of flower in profile as well, to get detail of the spur and sepals. Also the leaves and stems, whether hairy or not and shape of leaves. Look in your field guides at the bits of the plant that identifies it, then go look for it, helped me a lot doing that.
Dave

For viola photos (violets) try to take photos of flower in profile as well, to get detail of the spur and sepals. Also the leaves and stems, whether hairy or not and shape of leaves. Look in your field guides at the bits of the plant that identifies it, then go look for it, helped me a lot doing that.
Dave

Appreciate the advice. I have noticed before that when I take photos of unknown species, I get back home to check my guide to realise I don't have the right part of the plant / fungus / insect showing or in focus! It doesn't help that I mostly see flowers on the roadside while I am out on my bike and feel a bit stupid kneeling by the road taking photos with my phone!

OK, folks.... here's some more.... these from Bluebell Woods in Morpeth this last weekend...

The first one has me quite perplexed. I am wondering if it some kind of Spurge. It was by some trickling water running along the side of a path through the woods.

The second I think is Common Comfrey....except it has yellow flowers, not white...?

Finally, not a flower, but a horsetail, which I think is Great Horsetail.... I didn't get a picture of the spore-bearing part of the plant, but remember it was very banded.

Attachments

• BW_1.jpg
    BW_1.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 100
  • BW_2.jpg
    BW_2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 84
  • horsetail.jpg
    horsetail.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 71
OK, folks.... here's some more.... these from Bluebell Woods in Morpeth this last weekend...

The first one has me quite perplexed. I am wondering if it some kind of Spurge. It was by some trickling water running along the side of a path through the woods.

The second I think is Common Comfrey....except it has yellow flowers, not white...?

Finally, not a flower, but a horsetail, which I think is Great Horsetail.... I didn't get a picture of the spore-bearing part of the plant, but remember it was very banded.

One is Opposite-leaved Golden Saxifrage
I think you're right with the others. Wild comfrey usually has yellow flowers but I think the hybrid version has the pink flowers.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back