• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attaching A Head To Monopod (1 Viewer)

humakt

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this, so a simple answer would be great.

Right then.

I have a nice monopod. It's a Manfotto one.
Now, it doesn't have a 'head' on it, just a screw which a camera or scope can screw straight onto.

That's been OK up to now.
But what I'd like is a head with a quick release plate so I can get a spare plate and have one on the scope and one on the camera so I can swap round nice and quickly.

So here's my question.
I take it the heads just screw on to that bolt at the top of the 'pod? And is that a standard size? Like I say, both my scope and camera screw on to it so I have the feeling it is an accepted 'norm'. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one size, so whatever the usual size is (in the UK) that's the size of the one on my monopod. Anyone know what size that 'norm' would be?

Am I right in thinking this?

So the next question would be for recommendations for heads with a quick release plate that would be suitable for both a camera and a scope. Somewhere in the £30 range would be good.

I hope I've asked the right questions, so any advice/guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Not sure which Manfrotto Mono Pod you have but most accept both 3/8 and 1/4 heads. Just check that the outer 3/8 threaded section slides down to reveal the 1/4 threaded stud.

Now the question is do you really want a head on your mono pod or do you just want a quick release clamp? I ask this because most heads are difficult to manage on a mono pod.

If you just want a quick release clamp then Manfrotto (and many others) make them. However if you want a "Head" then I would go for a "Tilt Head" as anything more will require growing another arm! Whist an extra arm would make a great conversation piece - it is neither practical or likely to happen!

Seriously though - if loads are light and the budget restricted than the Manfrotto 234 RC2 does a good job.

I don't know which monopod it is either.
It says 'Manfrotto' on the side, it's metal, has a rubber grip, and clips for extending the legs.
But that pretty much describes most Manfrotto monopods.

The screw on the post is fixed. Hard to see how it could 'slide down' to reveal another stud. Whatever size it is it fits the two cameras I have and my scope, which makes me think it's the most common size for these things.

Since it's a monopod then all I really want for it is a quick release plate. All that will sit on it is either a Lumix FZ72 or a small scope, so I wouldn't say the payload is heavy.

But if there is a better head/plate available at up to £50 then I'd be happy to hear about it.

It's 1/4 then so you need a head that is that size or a thread adaptor that makes the 1/4 into 3/8ths there under £5 .
Rob.

Humakt

Sometimes the screw is actually a hollow screwed ferrule over a smaller screw that is inside. I had mine for many months until I accidently unthreaded the top one to reveal the smaller one.
Maybe yours is not like that?
(I think mine is a Velbon )

Best regards

Merlin

Momopod head

Sirui makes a nice monopod head and it's Arca-Swiss comparable so your not stuck with a Manfrotto plate. Gives you a lot more and cheaper options.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back