• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID help: Kruger National Park (1 Viewer)

Ted W

Hello all,

I recently returned from a fantastic trip to South Africa's Kruger National Park. I saw loads of incredible species but am having issues with identifying this one. Apologies for the poor photos, my excuse is that I wasn't with birders so occasionally I would have to snapshot. Seen near Bateleur Bushveld Camp mobbing a Wahlberg's eagle. I am fairly certain it was an Accipiter, potentially Ovambo Sparrowhawk? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9593.jpg
    IMG_9593.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 107
I honestly doubt that you'll get a solid ID from this shot, however, based on status, Ovambo Sparrowhawk is probably the least likely candidate even though you would be in it's given, SA range.

A

it does not look very small to my eyes, Wahlberg’s is a small eagle but still an eagle. The only ID feature I see is the plain central tail feather which should make it a Shikra

it does not look very small to my eyes, Wahlberg’s is a small eagle but still an eagle. The only ID feature I see is the plain central tail feather which should make it a Shikra

What is it causing the impression of a vertical bar running the full length of the tail, is that what you refer to Tom?

It's not a feature that's shown in any of my books?

A

What is it causing the impression of a vertical bar running the full length of the tail, is that what you refer to Tom?

It's not a feature that's shown in any of my books?

A

yes Andy, it is nowhere mentioned as a flight identification but an important feature in sitting Accipiter with Shikra having unbarred, uniform central tail feather, it is the only explanation I can find for this tail

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back