• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Absolute top lightweight 10x (1 Viewer)

All the years I was roaming the deserts and mountains on my own with my house on my back, maybe 25 or so, I used non waterproof binoculars. I was careful and never had one problem. Maybe I was very lucky but as the proverb goes, "Luck is infatuated with the efficient". If I didn't have too many binoculars right now I'd buy a pair of those Japanese Nikons. I believe they will be the next pair I buy. I'm all about fov.

All the years I was roaming the deserts and mountains on my own with my house on my back, maybe 25 or so, I used non waterproof binoculars. I was careful and never had one problem. Maybe I was very lucky but as the proverb goes, "Luck is infatuated with the efficient". If I didn't have too many binoculars right now I'd buy a pair of those Japanese Nikons. I believe they will be the next pair I buy. I'm all about fov.
Deserts and mountains are usually fine with a non-waterproof binocular. Where you get into trouble is jungle's and rain forests and high humidity climates. Don't take a Nikon EII into Monteverde Rain Forest in Costa Rica. It won't come out alive.:eek!:

Attachments

• 7-292.jpg
    7-292.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 54
Does the Seattle area and surrounding mountains count? I had them there with no problems. I'm sure a full on jungle would be different but it sure was wet in Seattle winter and spring. That's a beautiful picture. I spent almost four months in the Fiji islands roaming the jungles and snorkeling. The binoculars didn't work well when snorkeling.:king: Actually I didn't bring binos. I had an underwater camera though.

Last edited:
Thank you for these replies which I've read three times while going to sites to investigate as questions arose.

So my own table:

Swarovski CL 10x30 companion 485g
Zeiss Terra ED 10x32. 510g
Zeiss Victory 10x32 T* 560g
Leica 10x32 UVHD 565g
Swarovski EL 10x32 SV 580g

Comments on the Zeiss? And is the Victory 10x 32 discontinued?

A comment in general about 10x32: Quality counts as the margins of error get slimmer. Quality of optics, and quality of construction.

The Terra is made in China, and ultimately can't cut the mustard among this top line company.

Also a comment in general about ergonomics, and light weight: The 'fit' (to your eyes, and hands) , and 'ease of view' (how it fits your eyes/hands, and how easy it is to quickly get and maintain alignment, and stability of hold/view) , will be more important than a gram here and a gram there. Particularly with 10x.

You haven't said whether you wear glasses (making ER an important consideration - treat listed ER figures as ballpark values - you very much have to try the 'fit' and 'ease of view' for you) , or whether weather (making waterproofing, humidity and/or fog handling important considerations) , is a consideration ....... :cat:

Top choice would be the 580g Swarovski 10x32 SV. As I said earlier, it punches far above its weight.

Or if ~100grams is critical, and you accept some compromises to the view (far lesser Fov etc) , then go with the 495g Swarovski 10x30 Companion 2 (new version).

If you don't wear glasses, then the 560g Zeiss 10x32 T* FL, and the 565g Leica UVHD+ 10x32 and even the 590g Kowa Genesis XD 10x33, become options to consider. These closed bridge bins will have a much different feel to the handling - it may make no difference to you, be much better, or much worse ..... You will have to try them all to see which one clicks the best with you :brains:

Hope that helps :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I would say in the 500-600g camp it's the Zeiss Victory T*FL over all other contenders. For my use, the Victory handily beats the Swaro 32mm on glare control, ergonomics, weight, and FOV, while sacrificing some edge sharpness.

If you want a bit smaller/lighter, it seems the new Swaro CL companion is the way to go, though I've not yet seen it. FOV isn't world beating but is good. The negative is that minimum focus is 3m or so, so not great for butterflies / odonates / bugs / lizards / toenails / etc.

For really lightweight the Opticron, Maven, Kite, and Nikon versions of what are all basically the same bin are very good for their price, and very light/compact. They beat the Swaro CL Companion on close focus and slightly on FOV but lag behind in all other ways, as the price alone might suggest!

It is wet in Seattle but not like a rain forest like Monteverde. Seattle gets 3 feet of rain annually compared to 8 feet of rain in Monteverde. It is almost constantly raining and wet and so are your binoculars. The EII's are fine if you can keep them dry but in some humid wet climates it is difficult and fogging becomes a problem also and then there is the problem of fungus growing inside them. The EII is a fine porro that compares to way more expensive roofs optically but it requires a little more careful handling and that is probably why they are not as popular as waterproof roofs.

Yeah I'm sure you're right. Speaking of rainforest there is one right outside of Seattle on the peninsula. The mighty Hoh rain forest. I hiked in there once and it's wet wet. Lots of hanging moss.

Thanks for the time posting these helpful replies.

It appears there are three to try, Zeiss victory, Swaro sv and Swaro companion.
I'm actually investigating primarily for a friend, but will be sorely tempted myself as I remember the excitement of looking through the 10x32 victory in London few years ago, but then I do like the way you can hold a Swaro with fingers through.

I have a feeling however that my friend is likely to go for the Swaro Companion due to the weight. Or beg my 40 year old Nikons from me, then I'll simply have to get my wallet out LOL. I have no loyalties, am still using Steiner bins and a Swaro drawscope.

Thanks again to all

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back