• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders in Ethiopia - Lake Awassa (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I was looking through some shots taken January, 2014 at Lake Awassa in Ethiopia. I'm trying to improve in ID'ing these waders. Am I right to think I'm seeing (from left to right) a Black-winged Stilt, a Spotted Redshank, a Wood Sandpiper, and a Little Stint? (It's unfortunate I didn't get any shots where I could see the suspected Redshank's face!)

Attachments

• Black-winged Stilt_Spotted Redshank_Wood Sandpiper_Little Stint.jpg
    Black-winged Stilt_Spotted Redshank_Wood Sandpiper_Little Stint.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 71
Agree with Black-winged Stilt; I think the white spotting on the feather fringes suggests Spotted Redshank; third from left is a Ruff; black legs presumably indicate Little Stint.

Last edited:
Ah, I've been Ruff'd again. I'm always mistaking that Ruff for others. Please at least tell me that this one is a Wood Sandpiper! (and Little Stints in the background?)

Attachments

• Wood Sandpiper.jpg
    Wood Sandpiper.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back