• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MeoStar 8x42 focus issue (1 Viewer)

Kuhberg

Kuhberg
Greetings to all.

I have a MeoStar 8 x 42. These were replaced on warranty by Meopta a few years ago. They replaced another 8 x 42 MeoStar that I sent in for routine service work. The first binocular was used a lot year around in all kind of weather and served me well. Meopta customer service was very nice to work with. They were quick and kept me informed by email. I certainly did not expect a new bino.

The replacement 8 x 42 bino appeared to be brand new. After working with it to set the diopter things were not in focus. I figured the diopter setting would be the same as my prior 8 x 42 and my other MeoStar which is the 10 x 42 HD. Instead I found that I had to move the diopter almost all the way to the right to get a clear view. Maybe the diopter was installed in a different position than the other binos? I can live with this.

I have noticed 2 other issues. First, the eye cups leech and oily substance so that I have to wipe them before use. Not a big deal but my other Meostars do not do this.

Second, once I set the diopter up I get the nice wide clear view with the bino when I hold it to my eyes. But when I elevate the bino to look up into the trees the image becomes blurry. I played around with the diopter and re-set it while I was looking up. I had to bring the diopter several clicks to the left nearly all the way to the middle setting and then the image was clear. Then when I lowered the bino to look at the horizon the image was blurred again. I moved the diopter back to the right and things were clear.

The 8's have never been dropped or mishandled. I love the view through these binos. I just don't think I need to be constantly adjusting the diopter each time I elevate the bino when I want to be watching birds.

I have no such issues with my 10 x 42 MeoStar. I get clear views from any angle with that bino with just using the focus knob. I set the diopter on the 10x when I bought it 4 years ago and there has been no need to move it since.

Maybe its my eyes? I am in my early 50's, i have had Lasik eye surgery and don't wear eyeglasses. I don't have access to another 8 x 42 to test to see if it's just my eyes.

Thank you.

:hi:Hi Kuberg,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

It isn't your eyes where the problem is. The binocular has a problem with its diopter. Send it back to Meopta under your warranty and tell them what you wrote here. I'm confident that they will fix the problem for you one way or another

Bob

Last edited:
I contacted Meopta and sent the bino in for service. I received the bino back the other day and I am happy to report that Meopta fixed the diopter issue. Not only that they completely reconditioned the bino. New armor, eyecups, and must be a new diopter. They also added in a new strap, 2 new rain guards, and 2 sets of objective covers. Great customer service by Meopta.

Now to enjoy these last days of summer.

John

It is always great to read posts about good customer service.

Just out of curiosity, where did you send the Meopta for repair? I thought I heard they have a facility in NY. Do you know if they did the repair here in the U.S. or did it have to go back to Europe?

Thanks.

I sent them to their facility in Hauppauge, New York. It took around 5 weeks to get them back. The paperwork did not mention where they were repaired.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back