• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird nectar question (2 Viewers)

pva

Georgia
Hello,

I'm in Washington state, feeding hummingbirds for many years. I always prepare my own syrup. Recently I've bought the new feeder, and it came with two bottles of the red nectar, so I decided to try. The birds refuse to drink it! They try a little, then fly away.

I wonder - has anyone tried this red nectar? Do they actually drink it? Or maybe they are just spoiled here, because it's summer, there are still some flowers, plus there are other feeders around? Not sure what to do with this nectar - keep it or throw away.

Thank you.

Whatever you do, do not use that red liquid. It can be harmful to the Hummers if they do decide to sip it. Use just plain water and sugar. 1 cup sugar to 4 cups of boiled water.

Hello,

I'm in Washington state, feeding hummingbirds for many years. I always prepare my own syrup. Recently I've bought the new feeder, and it came with two bottles of the red nectar, so I decided to try. The birds refuse to drink it! They try a little, then fly away.

I wonder - has anyone tried this red nectar? Do they actually drink it? Or maybe they are just spoiled here, because it's summer, there are still some flowers, plus there are other feeders around? Not sure what to do with this nectar - keep it or throw away.

Since the hummers don't like it, I'd just toss the stupid stuff. There's no bigger scam in the bird food industry than artificially colored sugar water sold to the unwary.

Last edited:
Yes, 1 part sugar to 4 parts water is what is recommended by ornithologists, including the Cornell people. No food coloring necessary to attract hummers to a feeder - they are smart little things and they know a feeder when they see it, no matter what shape, size or color it is or what color the nectar is.
I recommend boiling the water and sugar mixture up. I use a pyrex tea kettle and can make just over 7 cups of nectar at once (barely a 3-day supply for my 4 feeders this time of year!). In my experience, the boiling gets rid of any bacteria or other negative things in the tap water and boiled nectar keeps for at least a week in the fridge. It also seems to not get yucky as fast in the feeders, although I clean and refill my feeders every 3 days, empty or not... although right now, it's sometimes daily or every other day because of the rate of nectar consumption.

Indeed they do, and in any case natural nectar is colorless; it’s the flowers that are red.

I have purple Mexican sages in my yard, as well as pink, white and red Gregg sages and an orange Cape honeysuckle (which the hummers adore!). I planted all of these because they are popular with hummers. I think it's not only red coloring that attracts them, but the tubular shape of the flowers, whatever the color. They go after my pink and purple Peruvian lilies, too, sometimes even my blue Lilies of the Nile, although I don't know if they're getting much out of those.
I've seen some of my longer-term resident hummers try other flowers - roses and lantana, for instance - once or twice and then not go back to those because there's evidently no nectar to speak of.
Although, having said that, hummers around here love bottlebrush plants and trees and they aren't tubular at all! But, most of them are red and they seem to have a bit of nectar down in the bases of the red sticky filaments. I once had a hummer make a nest in my yard that was all held together with the sticky red filaments from a nearby bottlebrush tree. It was a strikingly pretty nest until the color faded.

I cannot figure out why they even sell that crap. They should just have instructions with the feeder on how to make it.

Sugar Water Mix

Used to boil water, but it is not required. I use a clear plastic jug with a lid. Put 1 parts sugar and add 4 parts really hot tap water and shake till dissolved. Really simple no dye no boiling water. P.S. Try not to mix it stronger because they will come LESS often. Will come more often to 5-1 than 3-1 (less trips to get required calories). I have tested this personally, not something I read. I read it first.

I have used (and continue to use) the Perky Pet powdered mix, which does produce a red liquid. Have also mixed sugar & water, which produces a clear liquid. Have observed no difference in hummingbird response. Have also found no fact-based evidence of harm resulting from commercial mix.

Gary H

Coloring hummingbird nectar with red dye started over 50 years ago when most feeders were made of clear glass and the color red was thought and is a way of attracting hummingbirds. We have since discovered that using red dye is not necessary given nature's nectar is clear and the ability to safely color glass and plastics.

To be clear there is no scientific evidence that red dye used in today's mixes from such companies as Perky Pets and First Nature are harmful to hummingbirds. These companies are marketing to those who learned that nectar must be red in order to work thus continuing an unnecessary practice. What they should be doing is educating the public and for failing to do so shame on them. For me it's a matter of why add something that is not necessary?

Your hummingbirds rejection means your regular mix is what they prefer. Toss the red stuff down the drain and cleanout the bottles to store excess nectar in your refrigerator.

I'm not sure about "the sweeter the better". I'm using one part of sugar with four parts of water, as recommended, and it works great.

I'm not sure about "the sweeter the better". I'm using one part of sugar with four parts of water, as recommended, and it works great.

I've read that there is some question about how much sugar the hummingbirds' little organs can handle at one time if the nectar mixture is highly sugared. I stick with the 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water, as well. If they need more energy, they will simply come back to the feeders more often, which is a good thing for a hummer watcher.

PS In hot weather, hummers also drink the nectar because it's moisture they need, not simply a source of energy. Another reason why I don't add extra sugar to my nectar. I have to wonder if more sugar also increases the development of bacteria, too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back