• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Memory card reader help! (1 Viewer)

Adam M

I am on my third multi-card reader and I am suffering the same problem as I did with the other two. I plug the card into the reader, and the reader into the USB port on my laptop. Then.....nothing. Nothing opens up, nothing shows up on My Computer either. No matter what I try, different USB port, different CF card, nothing.

Worst thing about it is that it worked fine the first time I used it, but it hasn't worked since. It downloaded all the software and drivers, so it should work fine.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? And how to put it right?

Thanks in advance

Adam

What happens if you power the PC up with the card reader already plugged in?

Don't put the card in the reader, just plug the reader into the PC and turn it on - see if the computer sees it then.

Which OS, incidentally?

I have much the same problem with my Jessops Universal Card Reader. The UCR is connected to my PC and I insert a Compact Flash Card and nothing happens. I unplug the UCR and then plug it again or I take the lead out of the UCR and then put it back in. Hey presto the menu opens up. Strange. Roger

Have you checked device manager to see if the device is registered but in query status.
I have had 4 different cases of similar problems,
One where the device would only work through certain USB connections (only those on the backplane of a desktop pc),
One where it required removing the existing drivers and reinstalling (can't remember how tho must be on the internet),
Several which wouldn't work after I upgraded to more modern hardware and had to be scrapped,
and a fourth where the (laptop) motherboard caught fire at the USB chip. The manufacturers support line asked me to reboot to see if that would fix the problem! (I do love telephone support).

I currently use recent Sandisk readers, which work for me (after giving up with others) but I wouln't guarantee they are the answer to all problems.

I have the feeling that there are quite a few readers still being sold that are of old design that have marginal compatability with modern computers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back