• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird feeder drained? (1 Viewer)

Tiggy13

Something is draining my feeder. unfortunately I suspect a neighbor since I ruled out the wind and appears the feeder is or seems undisturbed, just empty.What else should I look for?

Hi Tiggy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the dedicated Hummingbird forum, as I think you're more likely to get the relevant people to see your question. I subscribed you to the thread, so you can find it easily.

What makes you think it is a neighbour?

You'd be surprised at what loves the sugar nectar. Deer, squirrels and raccoons are always tipping the feeder to get the liquid in their mouths.

Hi there and welcome aboard :t:

Yeah, I forgot about the bats which I've seen on more than one occasion trying to tip the feeder.

Woodpeckers are also known to slightly tip the feeder and drink the solution. Don't know where McAdoo is but in Arizona the Gilda Woodpeckers love the water.

Thanks to everyone that replied. McAdoo is in N.E. PA. Seems to happen only at night. Don't think its my girls (Squirrels) I feed them rather well. Spent all last night monitoring the feeder, nothing, of course it rained. As far as my one neighbor, they are less than desirable since day one. They have and still do some strange things. Thanks again I've learned a few new things I didn't know.

Emptying Hummingbird Feeder

Tiggy,

We too are having the same problem.

We have seen a few small Bird species fight on the feeder and both leave before any nectar is removed. We do have bats and squirrels.

I'm going to buy a trail camera and see what happens.:cat:

Yeah, I was going to suggest setting up a motion camera aimed at the feeders at night to see what may be draining the feedersl If you do, please let us know what you find.

Emptying Hummingbird Feeder

All,

As mentioned before our hummingbird feeder was emptying.

Well, here is the Update! Before the need to buy a camera I discovered the feeder was leaking as the "plastic flowers" that allow the birds to feed were loose, allowing the feeder to drain!

So much for BIGFOOT!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back