• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for info on Allens from an LA birder (1 Viewer)

annikins

Hi
I will be in LA in September and looking to see Allens hummingbird.
Is there a birder who lives in the Burbank area who can point me to
a local hummer feeder spot where I may see Allens?
Thankks

I'm about 20 minutes north of Burbank, and I know some migrate a little further south right around August/September (males first, then females), but there should still be some who stay in SoCal. Based off the eBird sightings, I would suggest nearby Brand Park (free). However, your best bet would probably be Descanso Gardens, which is about a 10-minute drive from Burbank. If you don't mind driving a little further, there's the Huntington Gardens in Arcadia, which is about 20 minutes away. I'd call ahead and ask. I'm sure some staff member would have more info.

In the run-up to your visit, here's a picture of one of the girls (or immature male) who sometimes sneaks in when the male's briefly gone from guarding the yard.

Good luck hummingbird hunting/watching!

Attachments

• DSC02536.jpg
    DSC02536.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 88
Thanks

Hi Volcomised
Thanks for the tips ; I will be staying quite close to Descanso Gardens and will give it a try.
Are there any Audubon groups or other birder groups in Burbank I could contact when I am there for the latest information?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back