• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 8x32 (1 Viewer)

bennyj

Hello all,

my first post here, but i have been reading a lot of old posts. i just ordered a pair of 8x32 trinovids from cameraland without ever having looked through them... i know, not the best idea, but they were the last pair and with the lifetime passport, at 100 less than the 8x30 slc, i thought it was worth the risk. hoping they will serve me well as an all around wildlife viewing binocular. also, hoping that they are not a return or something that has been laying around, but i have no basis for that, only my usual unfounded paranioa|;|

benny j

My first pair of alpha bins were 8x32 BAs. I have owned them for 13 years and they are still almost like new. You should be very happy with the small Leicas.

A mail order always causes a bit of breath holding, but nothing less than a Trinovid. I have the bricklike 8x42 myself, I would go to war with that one. More modern coatings have upped the transmission 5-7%, but the Tri shows things very well, and I don't see how view comfort and mechanics could be beat. I bet you like it, let us know.
Ron

Not only does Camerland have new in box 8x32 Trinovid BN,s for $999.00 with the lifetime Passport warranty, but they also have some pre-owned 8x32 Ultravid BRs, in box, with all accessories and a ten year warranty for $949.00. I've tried them both and like both a lot. Every eye is different but to me the Ultravids were definately brighter at twilight, equal in every other repect except they were a little touchy as to positioning where as the BN were easier in that regard. I haven't heard this from anybody else so it might just be the shape of my face, deep set eyes, ect.

The BN is a little heavier and slightly bulkier, plus it's hard to fit with objective caps, but I really like the feel of the BN in my fairly small hands. There is something solid about it. But I have to say, if not for that slight (very slight) black-out issue with the BRs, I would definitely go with the Ultravids for less money and ten year warranty is still pretty good.

edit... Now that I re-read the original post I see that he may have bought the last BN from Camerland. I know he is going to love it. Personally I think the 42 size BNs are too heavy and bulky but I really like that 32 size BN, it feels perfectly proportioned. I have been agonizing for months about buying an 8x32 BN, but I already have an 8x42 BR that is fantastic. Something about that little Trinovid though...

Last edited:
Something about that little Trinovid though...

They're my all time favorites. I've had 4 pair of Leicas (among many other binos) and currently have 8x32 BNs and 7x42 BRs (ultravids).
I like the 8x32 BNs best. They do have a certain quality of handling, view, focus, eye relief, and build that somewhat defies explanation. A product that exceeds the sum of it's components and specifications, and the easiest to use bino I've ever tried.

I know that sounds a little like hocus pocus, but there does seem to be a little magic about them ;)

Last edited:
I purchased the 10x32 Trinovid from CL NY last year - they are excellent, and it's a very nice store too. Service was excellent.
My only regret is that I wish I'd bought the 10x42's, the 10x32's are a bit small for my hands.

The BN's are still alpha level. Probably will be for decades.

I'm not totally convinced that we haven't improved light transmission and coatings to the point that we are suffering a loss of 'apparent' contrast and color saturation. I enjoy those two qualities (read, view) in my 8x32 BN's over my 8x42 FL's which seem overly bright and too natural on color. All of this has been discussed on this forum, ad nauseum.

You have selected very well, indeed. Enjoy!

Last edited:
well, they arrived and I couldn't be happier. to my eyes at least, they are sharper and the color is truer than the slc's i have looked through. they are a little sensitive to eye placement, but i feel i got a great value. i looked through the ultreavid hd and zeiss fl and have to say that i believe the trinovid is very, very close in the same size. i do not have perfect vision, and I can't tell much of a difference in any of the top brands, but these leicas are definately better than anything i have owned. lifetime passport warrant and a free surefire flashlight are icing on the cake.

Congratulations on your purchase of the 8x32 BNs. Just last night I put the same bins on layaway at my local shop, they were his last 8x32.

BTW if anyone is interested this store has two other left over stock Trinovid BNs left, a 8x42 and a 12x50, Dennis said the 8x42 is $1,050.00 while the 12x50 is $1,250.00. I told him I would post here as he has been very good for me to deal with on my past three binocular purchases. PM me if anyone is interested and I'll give you his phone number. If this post sounds too much like a solisitation let me know and I'll delete it.

Congratulations on your purchase. A wise choice and probably one investment you'll look back on in years to come and have no regrets - unlike that of a home or even a wife! Joke.

The 8x32BN in my opinion is a modern classic and, as expatiated in a thread I posted here some months back, probably the best bino ever made. By best, I mean it scores high in many areas: ergonomics/handling; build quality; optics; and performance. You can keep your AquaDura Ultravid lens coatings. When it rains here, my Trinovids' and I chew the fat over a fine malt by a roaring fire and wait for the sun to shine. ;-)

Yesterday I had the opportunity to carefully compare Leica's Trinovid BN 8x32 and Ultravid HD 8x32. Here's a few personal observations. The view through both sets was excellent. The apparent improved view of the Ultravid was not immediately discernable to me at least. After prolonged viewing in mid and late afternoon in the British autumn, and comparison back and for, I concluded that the Ultravid was indeed marginally brighter and perhaps sharper. I wouldn't say it was significantly so.

Handling is significantly different in my hands. I have small hands and I consider 8x32 to be my size of choice when it comes to bins for prolonged days in the field. I have Nikon HG 8x32 at present.

The Ultravids, if anything are too small. They are light, beautifully balanced, focus well etc, but I couldn't get past the nagging doubt I had about thumb placement. I just couldn't place them comfortably anywhere on the barrels and inclined to feel this would be a problem through the course of a day's birding. On the otherhand, the bulkier size of the Trinovids, left my hands and fingers comfortably placed when focussing and panning.

I think the focuss mechanism of the Ultravid is improved over the Trinovid. The wheel seems a tad more responsive and the indentations are a little better too.

Eyecups are significantly different. Trinovids simply pull-up into one position, and have little play. Ultravids twist up into two positions. This is stiff and needs a little effort to twist them out. A good thing perhaps to prevent them collapsing back. The rubber on the Ultravid eyecups seems a little loose to me, especially when considering reports of tight raincaps. I can easily forsee these coming off in certain situations. I would be less concerned about this happening with the Trinovids.

The rubber armoring of the Ultravids are more tactile than the 'dead' feeling of the Trinovids.

In the end, I decided to buy the Trinovids. They were £250 cheaper, but this wasn't the issue for me. I know the Ultravids were optically just a little better and had the new waterproof coatings, but in the end it was simply a question of comfort and handling for me. Sadly, in the end I was thwarted by the fact that the Trinovids had a few dust specks on the inside of both objective lenses. They did not interfere with the viewing experience, but they were there nonetheless. I just wasn't prepared to buy a pair of expensive binoculars with this flaw, despite the offer of a discount.

Last edited:
Trealaw,
Sorry about the dust specks, I'm sure you know but just in case you didn't know, the Trinovids would be covered under the lifetime passport warranty and you could send them back to Leica at any time to clean and remove any dust specs, and tune up that focus wheel while they're at it.

I totally agree with your review allthough the brighter Ultravid view was more immediately apparent to me, but there is something about the shape of my face and or eye depth that made it a little difficult to line the Ultravids up without kidney bean effect, the Trinovids come right up with a nice, easy view. That small factor and the way the Trinovids fit better in my small hands pushed me to the Trinovids. The focus wheel on my Trinovids was fantastic, much better than my 8x42 Ultravid BRs, even after Leica fixed the stuttering focus they had when I bought them, so there is apparentely some production variation between pairs.

Kevin who often post here, makes a great point about that particular model Trinovid being more than the sum of its parts. There is just something about the way the whole package comes together in an almost magical combination. Quick handling, easy carrying, robust feeling, quick to the eye and classic sharp Leica view, maybe not a bright as the latest FL or HD bins but still very, very good. I think this is one of those products where all of the design compromises come together just right.

If you are sure about passing on the 8x32 BNs you might mention where they are at, as I had a few followup post wondering where I got my BN. Also Camerland NY has killer deals on like new, demo Ultravid BRs, they come with the box, all new accessories and a ten year warranty, the 8x32 BRs are around $950.00.

I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone in the UK but I found this website which seems to have new 8x32 BN Trinovids for sale at £759.

http://www.uttingsoutdoors.com/

Of course it's possible that they haven't updated their website and that they are not no longer available. It could be worth following up, though, if anyone is interested in a pair. I am already a proud Trinovid owner so I am not interested. ;)

Ron

Last edited:
I bought a mint condition pair of these today, been wanting some for ages so decided to trade in some of my gear & go for it. As soon as I picked them up the feeling of quality was apparent, nice solid build, excellent focussing. They seemed to fit my hands perfectly, & the view is superb, sharp, snapping into focus quickly. Close focus is excellent & weight is just right, they also came with a nice little leather case. In summary well please, like a kid at Christmas, reminds me of when I saved up & bought a pair of Swift Audubons my first proper pair of bins when I was 12 years old.

John.

Leica

I bought a mint condition pair of these today, been wanting some for ages so decided to trade in some of my gear & go for it. As soon as I picked them up the feeling of quality was apparent, nice solid build, excellent focussing. They seemed to fit my hands perfectly, & the view is superb, sharp, snapping into focus quickly. Close focus is excellent & weight is just right, they also came with a nice little leather case. In summary well please, like a kid at Christmas, reminds me of when I saved up & bought a pair of Swift Audubons my first proper pair of bins when I was 12 years old.

John.

Nice catch John , I have a pair and they are keepers. Hope you get years of enjoyment from yours.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back