• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID needed for Lark ? at Okavango Delta, Botswana (1 Viewer)

rdavis

rdavis
Attached find three photos of what I tentatively identify at a Fawn-coloured Lark. I'd appreciate receiving your ID of this bird. The photo was taken on 27 November 2011 near Xigera Camp at a mostly open area (graminoids and forbs) with nearby patches of scrub and woodland.

Attachments

• Fawn-colored cf. Lark pre-edit for ID 8579_1.jpg
    Fawn-colored cf. Lark pre-edit for ID 8579_1.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Fawn-colored cf. Lark pre-edit for ID 8574_1.jpg
    Fawn-colored cf. Lark pre-edit for ID 8574_1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Fawn-colored cf. Lark pre-edit for ID8582_1.jpg
    Fawn-colored cf. Lark pre-edit for ID8582_1.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 81
Hello,

Juvenile Larks can be very difficult to identify sometimes. In this case I am not sure of the species... have you considered Flappet lark? I feel the bill tip isn't pointed enough for Fawn-coloured lark.

Starting with what we can see. We have a juv lark with rufous in the wings and pale buff outer edge to the outer tail feathers and fairly obvious pale supercilium above the eye. I would also suggest that the bill is not fully grown yet.

Sabota has white outer tail and lacks rufous in the wings and so can be eliminated. Fawn-coloured also has white outer tail and so can be eliminated. Flappet has darker outer tail feathers than this bird and also darker underparts and the supercilium does seem too obvious. Likewise for Eastern Clapper.

Why isn't it a Rufous-naped Lark? The bill certainly seems to be going that way and the plumage doesn't seem to present any problems. I haven't seen one in a while, but seems okay to me for that.

Thanks to all of you for trying to be helpful. I'm now calling it a Melodious Lark. Can you think of reason(s) why that is an incorrect ID? My second choice at this point would be immature Rufous-naped Lark. Ron Davis

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back