• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Hybrid or just the lighting? Central Pennsylvania, USA (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
My friend took this picture yesterday at a nearby lake. It appears to be as big, or bigger, than the nearby Great Black-backed Gulls but the mantle is lighter gray. We are discussing whether it is just a result of the lighting angle or if it is possibly a hybrid, GBBG x Herring Gull perhaps.

What do you think?

Mike

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean the bird on the left of the image in which case it is an adult Great Black-backed Gull with the angle to light giving it a paler appearance that the other GBBGulls

That was the gull in question. Based on the size of the bird I didn't think it could be anything other than GBBG. I have just never seen one that appeared as light as this one does.

Thanks,
Mike

Did you see it at any other angles, or in different light? It looks otherwise perfect for GBBG, if not a trick of the light, maybe just incredibly faded for some reason.

No other angles, it was sleeping the entire time.

I think it was just the lighting. The fact that it was stationary meant that the reflection was always the same. I think when they are moving around the lighter reflections are less noticeable.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back