• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So....I've been trying to contact Zen-Ray... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I've been trying to get thru to them I really have...

So earlier in the week I tried all forms of communication that I know to reach someone at Zen-Ray concerning the ED2 7X36. This is what I've TRIED:

1. Web-site -"CONTACT US." On-line form you fill out. Gave my email, address, and cell number...
2. Charles's Zen-Ray email address.. Gave same info..
3. [email protected]. Gave same info...

Don't know of a phone number or I'd call too.

I have heard zero, zilch, nada from them.

Really I'd be find with one that had a better focus... At this point I'm thinking about just boxing it up and returning the binocular for refund and see what happens....

Thanks Bruce....

I actually got an email from Charles this evening. I'll be sending the ED2 in for evaluation.

Chuck ..... Good to know you have been in contact with Charles and are sending the 7X36 back for a possible exchange. There is no point in hanging on to a binocular that is not right. To bad that happens, but to my immediate recollection, Nikon and Canon are the only brands my brother and I have not sent back for exchange, repair or refund or fixed myself. That includes Swaro, Zeiss and Leica.

I've been trying to get thru to them I really have...

So earlier in the week I tried all forms of communication that I know to reach someone at Zen-Ray concerning the ED2 7X36. This is what I've TRIED:

1. Web-site -"CONTACT US." On-line form you fill out. Gave my email, address, and cell number...
2. Charles's Zen-Ray email address.. Gave same info..
3. [email protected]. Gave same info...

Don't know of a phone number or I'd call too.

I have heard zero, zilch, nada from them.

Really I'd be find with one that had a better focus... At this point I'm thinking about just boxing it up and returning the binocular for refund and see what happens....

Chuck, I just caught up my email last night after my business trip and communicated to you. Then I found your post after being alerted by a member here. I am so sorry to hear the issue with your 7x36 ED2. It does not sound normal for a binocular in that caliber. Please follow up my email to send the binoculars back to us. In the meantime, I will inspect the next unit before it gets sent to you on Monday.

Have a good weekend

Charles

Chuck, I just caught up my email last night after my business trip and communicated to you. Then I found your post after being alerted by a member here. I am so sorry to hear the issue with your 7x36 ED2. It does not sound normal for a binocular in that caliber. Please follow up my email to send the binoculars back to us. In the meantime, I will inspect the next unit before it gets sent to you on Monday.

Have a good weekend

Charles

Thanks, Charles! Perfect.. I'll send it you to pronto!:t:

Thanks, Charles! Perfect.. I'll send it you to pronto!:t:

Chuck, what was the result of this? I have one of these Binos and it also has slack in the focus and was wondering what the outcome of your problem was.

Looking inside it seems to be coming from a loose screw on the focuser assembly.

On one side the screw is backed out and when you move the focus wheel you can see the screw moving back and forth with the same amount of slack as the focus wheel. Could it the same problem with all the other folks bins that are saying they have slack in the focus wheel?
Will try to post pics later so others can look at there's and see if it is a common problem or just something with mine.

Chuck, what was the result of this? I have one of these Binos and it also has slack in the focus and was wondering what the outcome of your problem was.

Looking inside it seems to be coming from a loose screw on the focuser assembly.

On one side the screw is backed out and when you move the focus wheel you can see the screw moving back and forth with the same amount of slack as the focus wheel. Could it the same problem with all the other folks bins that are saying they have slack in the focus wheel?
Will try to post pics later so others can look at there's and see if it is a common problem or just something with mine.

I returned the binoculars in question. I got binoculars back in pretty short order. I don't know if these are the same ED2 binoculars or not. I saw no serial number to write down. No further correspondence with Zen Ray to indicate what was/wasn't done.

Sack/slop is still there but somewhat less....prob 40-50% less.

Thanks for the reply Chuck, finally got around to taking pics of what I think is causing the slack in my pair.

Can I ask how what email you used?
The email listed on the website keeps getting bumped back as 'undeliverable' so I have not been able to contact ZenRay to see if they can fix mine. But considering you received a pair that still has play in the focus after being hand checked doesn't sound very promising.

The photo on the left shows one side with the screw all the way tightened down.
The photo on the right shows the other side with the screw apparently backed out. This side wiggles and moves with the slack in the focus wheel.

Attachments

• 20170301_200901.jpg
    20170301_200901.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 20170301_200750.jpg
    20170301_200750.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for the reply Chuck, finally got around to taking pics of what I think is causing the slack in my pair.

The email listed on the website keeps getting bumped back as 'undeliverable' so I have not been able to contact ZenRay to see if they can fix mine. But considering you received a pair that still has play in the focus after being hand checked doesn't sound very promising.

The photo on the right shows the other side with the screw apparently backed out. This side wiggles and moves with the slack in the focus wheel.

I actually got a reply using the email above...

It would be great if tightening that screw was all that was required to fix the focus mechanism slack. Not a home job unfortunately as the bins need to be pressurized with Nitrogen.

Let us know how you get on having this addressed, and if there's improvement, and to what level, and effect on focusing wheel tension, focus 'snap' etc.

Chosun :gh:

It would be great if tightening that screw was all that was required to fix the focus mechanism slack. Not a home job unfortunately as the bins need to be pressurized with Nitrogen.

Let us know how you get on having this addressed, and if there's improvement, and to what level, and effect on focusing wheel tension, focus 'snap' etc.

Chosun :gh:

Although it goes against the popular wisdom, noble or inert gasses such as nitrogen are not used to “pressurize” binoculars. There is indeed a light pressure. But, the gas is there to provide a negative growth environment for fungus and what Aristotle called “Bad juju cooties.” :cat:

Sack/slop is still there but somewhat less....prob 40-50% less.

FWIW the only binoculars I've ever had/used without slack/slop/roughness are the Nikon EDG, Zeiss FL, and Kowa Genesis. Everything else, including Swarovision and original EL WB, Ultravid HD, Victory HT, etc. have had some degree of roughness/slack/slop. It is infuriating that manufacturers can't seem to get one of the main points of contact to work in a way that justifies the price. The higher priced options are superior and more reliable, but still annoying relative to their price points...

FWIW the only binoculars I've ever had/used without slack/slop/roughness are the Nikon EDG, Zeiss FL, and Kowa Genesis. Everything else, including Swarovision and original EL WB, Ultravid HD, Victory HT, etc. have had some degree of roughness/slack/slop. It is infuriating that manufacturers can't seem to get one of the main points of contact to work in a way that justifies the price. The higher priced options are superior and more reliable, but still annoying relative to their price points...

Most binoculars I have have really nice, slop-free focus adjustments. From a $130 Eagle Optics Denali 8X42(nice binoculars BTW), every Vortex Viper HD/Razor HD, every Zeiss FL/SF, every SV, every current SLC, every Leica, and several in between. HUGE difference between the EO Denali and this Zen-Ray.

Most binoculars I have have really nice, slop-free focus adjustments. From a $130 Eagle Optics Denali 8X42(nice binoculars BTW), every Vortex Viper HD/Razor HD, every Zeiss FL/SF, every SV, every current SLC, every Leica, and several in between. HUGE difference between the EO Denali and this Zen-Ray.

Chuck:

I ran across this quote and I think it holds true here.

"You can't fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal".
W. S. Borroughs.

Jerry

Interesting. I guess it shows that every brand can be prone to poor quality control.

Ah, but some consider mac&cheese fine dining.

Have you ever had "Alpha" mac & cheese? Fine dinning at its best "Wow" factor is off the charts. 8-P Seriously you can really spend a small fortune making a gourmet m&c.

A small update: I was able to reach "Charles" at ZR using his direct email he told me "please send it back to us so I can pick a pair for you."

I sent the bins back on Sat.(3/10) and they where delivered yesterday(3/13) I sent another email informing about there delivery(no reply yet). That's where I'm at now, I hope to have replacements by the end of the week.

You can not create a good meal by overcharging for a lousy one either. The worst restaurant meal I ever had was from a very expensive, highly regarded place in San Francisco. Mac & Cheese would have been an improvement.

Last edited:
Have you ever had "Alpha" mac & cheese? Fine dinning at its best "Wow" factor is off the charts.

There speaks someone driven to a state of near-madness by Seattle's incessant rain.

We should all send him our condolences and give thanks that we don't have to suffer in the same way.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back