• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Botswana (1 Viewer)

oleg2oleg

All birds were make in the middle of December.

01 - Terrestial Brownbul?

02 - Curlew Sandpiper? Makgadikgadi

03 - Marico Sunbird?

04 - Lemon Dove?

05 - Rattling Cisticola?

06 - Red-backed Shrike?

Thank you!! )

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 47
1.terrestial brownbul
2.curlew sandpiper
3.marico sunbird
4.red eyed dove?
5.rattling cisticola
6.lesser grey shrike

Thank you!!!

Red Eyed Dove should be with the black strip on the neck... and Lemon Dove more colorful, sure, but.... I don't know.... )

Thank you!!!

Red Eyed Dove should be with the black strip on the neck... and Lemon Dove more colorful, sure, but.... I don't know.... )
some say juvenile red eyed dove collar indistinct,but I have not see any one lack at all
lemon dove have a rather short wing not beyond uppertail coverts

I think the breast-band on that sunbird is far too red for Marico, which has a strongly purple band and almost black belly. Could it be Miombo Double-collared Sunbird?

I think the breast-band on that sunbird is far too red for Marico, which has a strongly purple band and almost black belly. Could it be Miombo Double-collared Sunbird?

I also thought that it is Miombo, but I make this picture in the South part of Botswana, and Miombo areal mostly in Zimbabwe... May be it's immature Marico?

I also thought that it is Miombo, but I make this picture in the South part of Botswana, and Miombo areal mostly in Zimbabwe... May be it's immature Marico?

I really don't think it can be Marico. I don't think Marico starts out red and then gets darker.

In the south of Botswana, then it would presumably be Southern (Lesser) Double-collared Sunbird.

For the dove, I'd go for Red-eyed, though it must be a juvenile without the proper neck ring. You can see the neck ring starting to grow, though, I think. The noticeably pale forehead is surely a pointer to Red-eyed?

(Or maybe it's a bird lacking one colour. The legs are grey rather than red, for example.)

I really don't think it can be Marico. I don't think Marico starts out red and then gets darker.

In the south of Botswana, then it would presumably be Southern (Lesser) Double-collared Sunbird.

Here is problem again, on my mind. Southern is endemic of south of SAR.. Please, look at the map, red dot - there I made this picture. Areal for Marico only, but yes, white belly and so on....

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_131857.jpg
    IMG_20190120_131857.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 23
Here is problem again, on my mind. Southern is endemic of south of SAR.. Please, look at the map, red dot - there I made this picture. Areal for Marico only, but yes, white belly and so on....

Yes, I have the same map. If you look it gets to the Botswana border (the pale green). In 'Birds of Africa South of the Sahara' the map shows all the area (dark green and pale green) in the same red.

I don't think it can be Marico, and I can't think of another possibility.

How far south in Botswana were you?

Also without of black strip and red skin around the eyes?

Juveniles don't have collar, if this is you point, and the eye ring as a thin circle is typical of S. decipiens and excludes Red-eyed that has much wider and different shaped. Red-eyed Dove has also much dark eye.

I still think is a marico
is has black mottled belly,neither southern nor miombo have any black on belly
and its red band with some blue&purple feathers,that two both have no at all
it is a moulting marico

Yes, I have the same map. If you look it gets to the Botswana border (the pale green). In 'Birds of Africa South of the Sahara' the map shows all the area (dark green and pale green) in the same red.

I don't think it can be Marico, and I can't think of another possibility.

How far south in Botswana were you?

It was town Kang, you can find it on the Google map...

In 'Birds of Africa South of the Sahara' the map shows all the area - I have another book....

By the way, this is an article I published in French about ID of those doves.

The first comparative photo has names in latin, so you can use it. Look at the red eye-ring of S. decipiens, and compare the shape with S. semitorquata.

I was often stumped how variable is the colour in the field. There's no much other option than Marico in Botswana with this pattern...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back