• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Park, NYC - What'll I see? (1 Viewer)

Freezo

I know there have been similar posts in the past, and I've read some weblinks suggested from them, but what I really just want to know is what are the very common everyday birds to be seen in Central Park, especially the native, Non-European birds. I'll then research those common birds in a field guide I have. I will only be in NYC from Weds. till Sunday, and am visiting with friends who are getting married so opportunities for birding will be restricted to early morning walks in the park - I've chosen a hotel nearby for just that reason. I'll have to sneak a pair of binoculars into the luggage when my wife's not looking!
I fear it'll be impossible to get out to Jamaica Bay, so I'll be stuck with The Park. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Fraser

Hello Fraser,

Do you think you can make one of the tours listed here?

In Central Park, a checklist and park map may be obtained in The Dairy (mid-park at 65th Street), and at Belvedere Castle (mid-park at 82nd Street). The offices may not open before 0900. I think that the nature center at the Belvedere may be open daily.

And the local Audubon society does list birds to be seen in the City.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Hi and welcome to NYC!
The best guide for what is currently seen is the local patch report: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/
The best overall summary of NY area birding activity is: http://www.nycbirds.com/
The site has links to the NYC bird report, which is a 5 year record of birds seen daily, with summaries, in the various NYC sites like Central Park or Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.
It is here: http://nycbirdreport.com/sites/1/expyear.html
and should allow you to focus on the likely species.
Do note the park is 2.5 miles by .5miles, so bring good walking shoes.

A few of the better birds that are resident currently:
Wood Thrush, Baltimore Oriole, Great Crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, American Redstart, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Cedar Waxwings,
Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Gadwall
Cubic acres of Robins, Grackles and DC Cormorants

Hi Fraser there are worst places to be stuck Central Park is a Great location for birding if you only have short periods head for the Ramble and Check out Arthur's Thread before you go our New York Correspondent Have a great trip

Hi Fraser,

You have kind of picked the wrong month to be in CP. From April through the end of May the park is a migratory hotspot and can be awash with birds but as you get into breeding season it drops off dramatically as a place to bird with just a few native species hanging on in to breed and maybe a few lingering waifs and strays. If you have a vehicle at your disposal then there are plenty of other spots around the city which you could better spend your time. If not somewhere like Jamaica Bay is accessible by PT and would give you a much more fulfilling birding experience.

Luke

Thanks all! Very helpful - I knew June wasn't the best of month's for birding but as that's when the wedding is, that's when I have to go. And I'll have enough trouble ID'ing the basics without worrying too much about rare migrants!

Binoculars and field guide are safely snuck into luggage while wife's back was turned!
And a bizarre plan to maybe rent a bike out to Jamaica Bay on Saturday, which if I can do the navigating sounds much faster then public transport. I've cycled in cities from Rio de Janeiro to Saigon, so NYC doesn't scare me!
Here's hoping.
Thanks again for the advice.
Fraser

The distance from Manhattan to JBWR is about 15 miles, all urban streets with traffic lights.
Biking will not be faster than mass transit, about 80-90 minutes each way, imho.
You'll get more shore birds, gulls, terns and maybe some raptors at JBWR, yellow warblers, perhaps a white eyed vireo. Spend the time in the early morning in Central Park and then show New York to your better half. It will repay itself many times over.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back