• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Zeiss Victory Range??! (1 Viewer)

dwever

So I will buy a Victory Range, a ranging capable HT, and will purchase either the 8x42 or 8x54.

Here is my question. At 58 years old, my eyes will not take advantage of the additional light gathering of the 54mm as they will no longer dialate enough correct? Meaning there’s really no point in me getting the bigger 54mm right?

Thank you

Attachments

• 318CFE63-2A81-412D-80C8-2C770477F9F3.jpeg
    318CFE63-2A81-412D-80C8-2C770477F9F3.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 39
  • D8F9FBCE-1280-43B4-997E-85F565DCC654.jpeg
    D8F9FBCE-1280-43B4-997E-85F565DCC654.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It depends, are you going to use it in low light ? If so, you will benefit from the larger objective,
no matter your age.

Jerry

Andy

Some studies show your pupil at your age might dilate to somewhere between 4.25mm to 5.5mm but there appears to be considerable variation in individual people. Lets say your eyes only open to the 4.25mm. That would place you right on the exit pupil of the 42 and exceeding it a little, so you might find eye placement critical. If you are up at 5.5mm then the 54 exit pupil would barely be big enough.

I think the 54 would be the better choice especially when you consider eye placement. In dim light viewing it can be hard to be sure if you are perfectly on axis with your eye and with the 42 you would have no margin for error.

Good luck.

Lee

I just got the new Swarovski 8x56 slc after having the 10x42 Noctivid and the slc is just incredible. It is so easy to look through in low light with no eye strain whatsoever. I wear glasses and it is hands down the best I have had. I am 53 years old and would definitely recommend the bigger glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back