• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Dialyt 7x42B T*P first impression (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

Similar to SeldomPerched (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=362856), I just got a pair of the Dialyt 7x42B T*P, though mine are not T*P* like his. They are an older vintage (serial 657013). I had them out in the field from a bit before sunset to dark twilight, comparing to my Swaro 8.5x42 EL FPro. I've also recently tried the Opticron Discovery 7x42 (which is much less costly). My main interest in something like these (versus the ELs) is to scan open fields, especially in low light, for photography opportunities.

My first impression during the day is the view is top-notch. It reminded me of my Zeiss 10x42 HTs (which are in service still, so no direct comparison) in feel and viewing. The image circle is clean, objects stand out, and the apparent FoV is good giving a nice immersive feel. Everything was clean and sharp and had a bit of that "wow" factor, which the Opticron Discovery lacks.

Comparing more directly to the 8.5x42 EL Fpro, during the day I could not detect much difference. I think the ELs have a bit more contrast or saturation or vibrance -- not sure exactly what, but I was more aware of colors with them. I did not do side-by-side sharpness comparison on something close, but for more distant objects, I did not notice any striking difference. I checked out a Sharpie on a post with both (taking a few steps closer for the 7x, the bird was only 50 ft away), and the details looked similar with the bins hand-held. When I used them for some distant off-shore birds (gulls and egrets), I found the ELs better -- things seemed a bit more stable and clear, but that could be the 8.5x vs 7x.

Similar to comments in the above-mentioned thread, I did find the focuser a little difficult. It is only single-finger width and moves more deliberately than the ELs. I could switch between focus distances more quickly with the ELs and I think with more accuracy (though with practice I might become better with the Dialyts).

One thing I was not expecting, as it got colder I noticed the Dialyt hard rubber armor transmitted the cold to my fingers a fair bit more than the EL's armor! It was not awful, just unexpected.

In twilight, when the barn owls came out, I found it easier to track them with the 7x42 Dialyts than the 8.5x42 ELs. The wider FoV helped with their erratic flight.

In deep twilight I began to notice differences in clarity. It began to be difficult to get focus detail on the Dialyt, whereas the ELs I could still get sharp views. I am not sure if this is a difference in the binoculars or if my 52yo eyes benefited more from higher transmission brightness than from larger exit pupils.

Next weekend, I'll see how Sharon likes them compared to the Opticron Discovery 7x42s.

Marc

There is no difference between P and P*. The asterisk * was added to the P just to bring it into line with T*.

Lee

...I did find the focuser a little difficult. It is only single-finger width and moves more deliberately than the ELs. I could switch between focus distances more quickly with the ELs and I think with more accuracy...

The focus ratio of the 7x42 should be more rapid than the EL SV. I find it quick and precise. Unfortunately, the focus smoothness of the Zeiss 7x42 can be inconsistent, both unit to unit and for a single unit at different temperatures. The issue seems to relate to how well aligned, and perhaps lubricated, its weather sealing is. These have o-rings or other sliding tight seals to make them effectively waterproof but at the potential cost of focusing smoothness. You can send them to Zeiss for service, and I've done that with mine several times, but they don't seem to be able to make these issues go away. For my particular unit, the focus is absolutely silky fluid smooth between ~65 to ~85 degrees F. Below 65 down to negative 20 or even lower, the focus becomes less fluid but is still easy to turn. Above 85, the focus loses fluidity and becomes stiff. I also have to adjust the diopter slightly differently for different temperatures.

In reference to your other comments, I think many of the differences you have found are a result of the difference in magnification. The 8.5x makes seeing detail in stationary objects easier, both in daylight and at lower light levels.

--AP

Thank you for the replies.

On closer inspection, it looks like they might have gotten a good dose of sand or fine particle buildup that may be affecting both the hinge and the focusing. A good cleaning might be in order.

In regards to their low light performance, I will see if there's an issue with how I am using them. It was only in very deep twilight that I began to notice the differences in being able to see detail. Perhaps it was the temperature drop affecting the diopter, which I did not re-adjust.

Marc

Thank you for your handy review, Marc; as Troubador mentions I think your version T*P is identical - apart from the missing second asterisk on the front of the central shaft - in all other respects to my T*P*. I tried out a Swarovski 8.5 x 42 briefly but only outside the shop front door and focusing on potted plants for sale across the passageway between shops. By switching another Zeiss and the Swaro to and fro I decided I wasn't too keen on what to my eyes was a bluer cast from the Swaro but also I thought the focuser not that great on the second hand example I was trying out. Anyway, back to the Dialyt, though it old-fashioned in style these days I find it great to handle and hold and not at all tiring on the arms. The focus niggle on mine is fairly minor and I am waiting for an opportunity to drive to get it serviced. Enjoy your Dialyt!

Tom

I've been enjoying the Dialyts. The view really is crystal clear. I think I will send them in to Zeiss for a cleaning. The hinge and focuser are both a bit uneven and I found a fair bit of sand & debris buildup under the eyecups when I removed them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back