• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Andalucia Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Paco,

Unfortunately I can't see myself getting over to your side till winter - maybe you will come out to Sagres?

Saludos

Simon

With an atypical March sprinkling of snow this morning here in Canterbury this morning, your report brings a welcome hint of the coming spring. I hope it's drier and warmer when we're out in a couple of weeks,

Brazo del Este

Purple Herons are already at Brazo del Este accompanied by Great White Egrets. Visited the area a few days ago.

Thanks for all the updates everyone.
Still poor weather in the UK and I notice a fair bit of rain in southern spain.
Like John I am hoping the sun returns for 3 and a bit weeks time.
Fingers crossed eh?

Road

Birdman 7 What is the road like from Bonanza to Brazo del Este ?.......Eddy

Its not as bad as one might envisage even after so much rain. There are some serious potholes during the middle stretch along the river towards La Señuela, no probs for a 4x4 but still drivable with a normal car with care. For the most part though, its a lovely drive and a plethora of places to stop and scan and lots of birds around. I had both Lesser short-toed and Greater STLarks there a few days ago all along that track with Stone Curlews along the way, Mon Harrier, Hoopoes and many others. Lanner Falcon was seen there a few days ago but not by myself. I prefer this route if I wonna spend the entire day birding as its relatively quiet. The main track on braze de Este is quite muddy half way through and ended up going back towards Pinzon before taking the NIV back towards Jerez/Cadiz.

Last edited:
Its not as bad as one might envisage even after so much rain. There are some serious potholes during the middle stretch along the river towards La Señuela, no probs for a 4x4 but still drivable with a normal car with care. For the most part though, its a lovely drive and a plethora of places to stop and scan and lots of birds around. I had both Lesser short-toed and Greater STLarks there a few days ago all along that track with Stone Curlews along the way, Mon Harrier, Hoopoes and many others. Lanner Falcon was seen there a few days ago but not by myself. I prefer this route if I wonna spend the entire day birding as its relatively quiet. The main track on braze de Este is quite muddy half way through and ended up going back towards Pinzon before taking the NIV back towards Jerez/Cadiz.

Really useful info once again! Never got this far North from Bonanza so its an area i'd like to explore in April.
Would you say its worth doing both Bonanza and this area? or are they quite similar?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back