• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruby-throated hummingbird (1 Viewer)

In my birding adventures I have seen a couple of ruby-throated hummingbirds flitting from our garden plants.

I don't have a feeder to feed them though.

They appeared in the spring/summer months.

They are tiny, and very quick so if you are not speedy you might miss seeing one!

Just wanted to say that.

I too had the pleasure of seeing a hummingbird in my yard a couple times in summertime. They are tiny, first time I noticed one I thought it was a big bug. Ever since I've been keeping my eye out for them.

I think you might be seeing an Anna's Hummingbird instead of a Ruby-throated. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are found in the eastern part of the United States and are not normally seen in Washington state. But whether an Anna's or a Ruby-throated, I am sure it is fun to watch.

The first time I saw a Hummingbird was in Costa Rica and it whizzed past me at such a speed with what seemed to me a very un-birdlike flight that I had to have it IDed for me by another birder as a Hummingbird. Initially I thought it was some sort of giant, weird insect! Got my eye in after that and finished the trip seeing over 20 species of Hummers. At the Hotel Georgina on the Cerra de la Muerte I could watch Volcano Hummingbirds coming to artificial feeders the other side of a glass partition inches away from where I would eat breakfast. Wonderful stuff.

I must return to the Americas one day soon; there's so much bird lige there I haven't seen yet.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back