• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Change of tripod head (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
I have a Velbon Sherpa Carbon Fibre tripod with Velbon PH-157Q head which I have had for many years.

More recently I acquired a Swarovski CT101 tripod with Swarovski FH101 head (predecessor to the DH101 head).

My main scope is a Swarovski ATM80HD (with 25-50 zoom). I also have a Nikon ED50 scope. I also use my tripods for photography (Canon 7D with 400mm f5.6 l4ns).

The Velbon tripod is a bit lighter than the Swaro one. But I prefer the leg clamps on the Swaro to the screw type ones on the Velbon. So sometimes I use one, and sometimes I use the other.

I am not entirely happy with either of the heads. On the Velbon, I like the fact that the single handle locks both pan and tilt, but the head is slightly crude and you have to screw the handle quite tight to lock it.

The Swaro head pans and tilts quite smoothly but I don't like having two controls to lock the head (one for pan and one for tilt). Also, there seems to be quite a bit of play/bounce in the head when locked, with my scope on it.

I was wondering whether to get a new head? I was considering three main options:

1) Upgrading the Swaro FH101 head to the newer Swaro DH101 head

2) Buying a Manfrotto 701HDV head

3) Buying a Manfrotto 700RC2 head

Questions:
- which option would folks recommend?
- or would they recommend another one (not listed)?
- would the two Manfrotto heads mentioned fit my Swaro CT101 tripod and/or my Velbon tripod?

Thanks guys!

I have the 701 HDV and find it very good for my Kowa scope. I have not tried it with a camera but with a fairly light camera + lens like you have then it should be fine, though you may need to add a little tension to prevent movement.
Try one at you local camera shop and if you like it (I think you will) buy it there, after all the web sellers leave you to guess - the High street sellers let you know.

ThanksJohn.

Regarding the Manfrotto 701HDV - will I need an adaptor to get it to fit my Velbon Sherpa Pro5300 or Swarovski CT101 tripod legs?

I'd get a lightweight gimbal. Benro/Induro and Jobu Design make nice ones that aren't too expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back