• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification guide Extremadura (1 Viewer)

SkyeSonia

Hello

We are off to Extremadura next April for a few weeks and will make the best of the birding opportunities that region offers. However, I've done a bit of trawling for id guides for the region and although there are some of the 'where to look for birds' type, I haven't seen many actual guides.

Looking on this forum, I see that Collins Bird Guide has been rated for id in the past. Is that book still one of the best, in people's opinion or are there other publications, I should be looking at?

Looking forward to receiving replies - and thanks in advance for your wisdoms!

looking on this forum, I see that Collins Bird Guide has been rated for id in the past. Is that book still one of the best, in people's opinion or are there other publications, I should be looking at?

Yes, the Collin's Bird Guide only - in the bird world in and outside this forum its a "no brainer" ;) Also, its probably the best bird field guide for any region, never mind just Europe/Western Palearctic. IF you don't have it, get it and you will know soon that you "needed" it.

Then you just need to know which species are in Extramadura (a lot!).

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I guess I was hoping for an excuse to buy another bird guide to add to my collection...but you're right and it seems as though I always return to the Collins for UK and Europe. Still it's always best to check there isn't something else out there.

My game plan at the moment is to search out a few raptors, which seems to be a sure bet in Extremadura.
Thanks for responding

Although the Collins Guide is most certainly the one to go for regarding ID it does have several drawbacks. First, it contains hundreds of species that you won't encounter which some people may find it confusing. Second, the maps are tiny so it is not always easy to see what's where. Third, some illustrations are on the small side. Accordingly, you might find it helpful to supplement it with a copy of the "Birds of Spain" by de Juana & Varela (Lynx). Spain's Atlantic islands aside, this books has the advantage of dealing only with species you're likely to see, much better maps of Iberian distribution and, although not a patch on the Collins, the plates are good and the text useful.

What about the Collins Guide App? You can zoom in on the illustrations and maps. You get calls and songs for most species, a great help for ID. You can create your own lists to filter out the birds you will not seen in the area you go to...
And if you carry a phone, it’s always with you.
I certainly could not do without it.
I also have Birds of Northern Europe as an App, but it does not have half the functionality of Collins.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back