• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good tips on stalking? (1 Viewer)

Ryan

I can get common sense tips- be as quiet as possible, move slow and dont wear bright colors or have bright gear but, what else is there to stalking for the shot? Are there any not so obvious tips from the vets out there for newbies like me?

Well, not walking directly towards the subject is one that comes to mind, try to zig-zag. Keep an eye on the behaviour of the subject as you get closer, they'll become visibly twitchy if you're to close...and this is the prelude to flying off.

Maybe keeping a low profile, crouching whilst moving closer and using any available cover. If you follow all of this....you'll probably topple over but give the bird a good laugh ;)

I was able to get up close to a pair of roe deer, by stakling. The wind was in the correct direction (taking my scent away from them), there was a little background noise from a road, that covered the noise of my approach, and finally, i got down on my stomach and tiger-crawled, then stomach crawled up to a gateway, keeping my profile below the line of a slight raise in the ground.
All these co-incidental factors meant that I could then riase myself up to a kneeling position against a gate, set up my camera and spend about 30 minutes watching the deer feed uninterupted. The Doe actually walked towards me in the end, bringing the fawn with her and they did the hard last few metres, almost bringing them too close for my 300mm lens!
when my presence was finally detected (shutter noise and proximity) the doe made her way towards me quickly, ears pricked before noticing me just behind the gate and fleeing.
A great experience!
I've had less luck stalking birds, and spent a very cold six hours in a small 3ft cube hide, waiting for waterfowl. Only to notice at the end of the day that the scrape was frozen over and the birds were all on the estuary.
Planning is the key!
James

If it's a regular place to see something, try clearing the floor a bit, removing large sticks etc. so that you can creep up without that agonising crack of a stick underfoot.
Also, dependant on the bird, an Audobon bird caller can attract nosey birds, or lure tapes work splendidly on others, just ask any ringer!

Depening on the bird a few scraps of bread etc can work wonders. I also feel it's important to "pay the rent", particularly during the winter.

Regards,
Graham.

I also would be interested in some tips from the experts
as I again unsuccessfully tried to get closer to a Mallard! ( a wild un not one of those feral jobs ) and a couple of Pheasants at the weekend. Thought I would attempt some easy stuff for practice!!
I attempted to leopard crawl thru about 40 yrds of low tussocky grass. After about 20 minutes I managed to get about 15 yrds from the Mallard (At this point I also noticed a Teal stick his head out from behind a rock) but to go further and get to some nice cover I had to move parallel to the bird.
Unfortunately this meant even though I was lieing flat on my stomach I still broke the horizon and up went the Teal and then away went the Mallard. Not impressed I got up into a kneeling position as I was in agony and a flipping Snipe shot up from about 10 foot in front of me!!!! Arhghghghg
Even though I felt depressed I decided to stay where I was and lay in a slight hollow to see if anything would come by. A few minutes later a flock of Meadow Pipits came through at about 20 ft from me which was pretty good but I was too worried any movement to bring my camera up would have scared them off so I just lay there and watched them. And that was it for all my effort.
Any advice would be very helpful!
Thanks
Pete.

ps. I dont think a portable hide is a good idea in this particular place as it would get way too much unwanted attention from dog walkers, campers, kids etc

Ok I'm a slob but I find a car very useful for close approach. If gently driven into position it's surprising how tolerant the birds become. Bit of a bugg*r on the springs cross-country though! ;)

I too found a Fiat Seicento was an excellent mobile hide, warm and with everything to hand. It was so good that I have recently upgraded to its modern successor the new Fiat Panda. Keep off the rough stuff though!! :king:

Sounds to me like your only sin was not having the camera all ready to go! I've seen mention of kind of a sled device some guys use - they mount the lens via the tripod collar to a snowboard-type sled and slide it in front of them. I might try that some time.

As to the portable blind, I'm going to try some camouflage netting this year to get a shot of a Kingfisher that eluded me last summer. I figure if anyone accosts me, I've got incontrovertible digital proof that "really, ossifer, I wasn't planning a heist! I was taking pictures of the birds!" :)

If it's deer you are stalking then learn the layout of your countryside, planning a route that puts the wind in your face. Find where the tracks and signs are and read up on the species you are after.

Keep to the path or clear routes through foliage (no twigs for crunching). Walk slowly, stopping often to listen and look slowly around.

Use stillness as a hide and also use trees as cover and natural high spots to look down from, which also keep your scent away.

If the deer see you, leave the area quietly and slowly, otherwise they may think you are after them and be more cautious in the future. Pretend you aren't interested in them.

Aye Jon I was thinking about some camo scrim netting.

cant hurt I suppose, apart from make people think there is a sniper on the marsh :)

Camo netting

Yeah- the whole looking like a sniper is generally bad for Americans as we actually have folks shooting people with sniper rifles and I would fear getting shot by a drunken hunter as well.

Ryan said:
Yeah- the whole looking like a sniper is generally bad for Americans as we actually have folks shooting people with sniper rifles and I would fear getting shot by a drunken hunter as well.
If you have a look at me and simonc in the gallery pictures, you'll see that we're always performing 'covert operations' (or at least accused of it) . I dare say that in the States we'd get shot for being 'some kinda para-military commi wierdos' or somesuch!

Know your subject. Most birds will allow you to stalk then so close and no further. With a bit of experience you will come to know how close you can get before you invade the bird's 'space' A car makes the best hide-coupled with a 'bean bag' full of rice to put over the window.(don't get it wet or it will expand with explosive results!!) This will reduce camera shake to a minimum, but remember to switch the engine off to reduce vibrations. Hides are useful. I use an old canvas one from Jamie Wood but I find that open stalking of birds is a supreme challenge. Even with a 600mm lens I need to be within 5-6 metres of a passerine to get an acceptabley large image. I have an army 'net' scarf from the surplus stores. This goes over my head and lens, breaking up the outline. Don't forget to cover your hands, the movement of white digits is a recipe for a flown bird. Quick movement is to be avoided at all costs. A person fishing by a lake once told me of all the birds that come close to him while sitting quietly. A good lesson to learn!
Another essential tip is to fiire the shutter as you are breathing out. As you exhale, stop and squeeze!!

Another little no no I found out the hard way is shiny metallic coloured cameras.In my limited experience I have found the reflection off of them when they catch bright sunlight a almost certain way to 'spook' your subject.I always tape up any 'shiny ' on the camera I am using at the time(they are all old manual slr's.So lowering their resale price isn't an issue!!).

On the subject of reflections. What about the light reflecting off glasses?
(I am assuming that light would reflect from a persons specs that is.)
Is it a major disadvantage to have glasses on while trying to get closer to the bird?

ta
Pete.

I'm not a photographer but I've often had birds and mammals such as deer and foxes come real close, about ten feet or so, to me by finding a comfortable spot (often at the base of a tree or a hedge/wall) and just sitting quietly and seeing what turns up! In one wood a few years ago I was sitting at the base of a beech tree and after half an hour or so of being perfectly still and keeping any head movements to an absolute minimum a Roe Deer buck wandered along the trail and passed by within just feet of me! I hardly dared breath for fear of him realising I was there! It is still one of the most magical experiences I have ever had!
Last year at the end of April, whilst sitting on a grassy bank overlooking the sea I had a Weasel pass by and sit upright and look towards me when I squeeked at him! First weasel I'd ever seen as well...another memorable moment!
I'm off badger watching in three weeks time...can't wait...and that'll involve sitting silently for a few hours. But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back