• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl in boat (1 Viewer)

mijmoth1

On Wednesday evening (9.30) I saw what seemed like a long eared Owl sitting on the top of a small boat in Poole bay ( By Sandbanks) It was blue not pea green, the boat that is). It was a reasonable distance away but seemed to be sitting quietly passing the tine away. Colouring seemed right and "ears" were just visible

Although I did not stop long I am not certain over was it real or not!
Did I really see an owl!

It's quite common to see plastic 'Eagle Owls' on roofs etc near the seaside - idea being to scare gulls or other birds away so they don't poo everywhere. Likely to be one of these imo.

On Wednesday evening (9.30) I saw what seemed like a long eared Owl sitting on the top of a small boat in Poole bay ( By Sandbanks) It was blue not pea green, the boat that is). It was a reasonable distance away but seemed to be sitting quietly passing the tine away. Colouring seemed right and "ears" were just visible

Although I did not stop long I am not certain over was it real or not!
Did I really see an owl!

Yes, as said before it is a plastic model to scare the seagulls away to stop the boat be covered in Guano.

I know the boat well, always fools the kids when were going to the beach.

Ian

Thank you all.
I must make sure I look more closely, I assume that the fact it did not move ( after a number of minutes) would be the biggest clue!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back