• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

olympus versus pentax (1 Viewer)

ryansdesk

I am looking to buy a decent set of 12x50 binoculars for less than £200. I am interested in a set of Olympus EXPS 1 (£88) and Pentax PCF WP II (£107) Both brand new. I am really stumped as to which one is the better buy, i have been able to try out the olympus model and was very happy with it however i see that pentax have their set at only £20 dearer, and apparently waterproof instead of just weatherproof.

Maybe someone can advise me as to the best purchase, i would really like to make the right choice as far as viewing quality is concerned. (o)<

Last edited:
We rarely get Olympus over here.

Have had a number of requests recently for info on 12x, yet we have experts here that know every brand but could not answer. Most people do not use 12x for birds. That seems to be why we have no experts. One member wanted info on 12x Conquests by Zeiss.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81916
I could only comment generally, based on 10x.

I believe the 10x and 12x porros of Nikon and Pentax are very similar. There may be other brands as well. Your best bet is to visit some stores, make some calls. They do use them for hunting and astronomy.

Last edited:
ended up ordering the 12x50 olympus exps 1. Favoured the olympus over the Pentax model due to reading some reviews about the focus control on the pentax being quite tight and also the ergonomic design of the Pentax model supposedly not as good as the olympus. Having had a shot of the olympus myself i was quite impressed with the viewing brightness and quality, so unless the pentax is vastly better in the optics department, which i dont think it is, I am happy with my choice. :brains:

It's hard to go wrong with either choice. I've told people on this forum about the incredible low pricing that Olympus often has on their factory-established Ebay "returns-refurbed" sales (with various factory warranties always included). I've purchased and then sold the 12x50 Olympus EXPS and they were a tremendous surprise for their high quality images and super-low price. I own a pair of the Pentax 12x50 porro DCFs because they are waterproof (my favorite Yukon 12x50 porros are not waterproof although they have great resolution and are super-wide-angle).

The Pentax bins perform well (the ergonomics on this Pentax line may not be to everyone's liking and they are noticably heavy even though I am over 6ft4 and weigh 15 stone-210 pounds). The light transmission on the Olympus bins seemed better so they seemed brighter (though not as bright as the Yukons). Allot of my friends have the Olympus EXPS bins and I've always enjoyed the Pentax 12x50s in inclement weather (can you believe it, the national weather service for the USA posted a "Snow advisory warning" for my county in Kansas last night ON April 13/14?). Not only did we have a hard freeze last weekend (21 degrees F [-7 degree C] for 16 consecutive hours) that killed all the plums, pears, nectarines, pecans and other fruits we grow for this season, but now we have snow a week later. Sadly the birds may well desert us this year because they usually feast on the insects attracted to the fruit. No fruit, no insects and maybe no birds. We'll know by May 1 when the mulberries should be developing for harvest May25-June 15. But it looks like a very bad year for fruits, berries and nuts in the USA. Watch for sharp price spikes in the grocery stores.

ryansdesk said:
ended up ordering the 12x50 olympus exps 1. Favoured the olympus over the Pentax model due to reading some reviews about the focus control on the pentax being quite tight and also the ergonomic design of the Pentax model supposedly not as good as the olympus. Having had a shot of the olympus myself i was quite impressed with the viewing brightness and quality, so unless the pentax is vastly better in the optics department, which i dont think it is, I am happy with my choice. :brains:

ryansdesk said:
I am looking to buy a decent set of 12x50 binoculars for less than £200. I am interested in a set of Olympus EXPS 1 (£88) and Pentax PCF WP II (£107) Both brand new. I am really stumped as to which one is the better buy, i have been able to try out the olympus model and was very happy with it however i see that pentax have their set at only £20 dearer, and apparently waterproof instead of just weatherproof.

Maybe someone can advise me as to the best purchase, i would really like to make the right choice as far as viewing quality is concerned. (o)<
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM COULD NOT DECIDE WHAT BINS TO BUY I ENDED UP BUYING THE PENTAX DCF HR II 10X42 AND WHAT A GOOD CHOICE THEY WERE FOR UNDER 200 POUNDS FROM MICROGLOBE.CO.UK THEY CAME IN AT 197 POUNDS WITH NEXT DAY POSTAGE THEY RANGE FROM 279 TO 309 ON ANY OTHER SITE

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back