• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Triller, Sulawesi (1 Viewer)

mr.p

not of this world
Between Makassar and Palu.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mr.p

Attachments

• Triller.jpg
    Triller.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 72
Between Makassar and Palu.

This is a very large area. Range maps from hbw seem to suggest White-rumped (aka Sulawesi) doesn't go to the central part of the island. The shot doesn't seem to show enough features to distinguish between the two?

The outdated Wallacea field guide (which contains many outdated range inaccuracies) mentions that WST is only in the south but spreading north. Not sure how accurate/up to date HBW range will be.

This is a very large area. Range maps from hbw seem to suggest White-rumped (aka Sulawesi) doesn't go to the central part of the island. The shot doesn't seem to show enough features to distinguish between the two?

In Eaton et al, the whole island is shown within range of Sulawesi Triller.

Renamed 'Lesuer's' in Eaton et al and does not have the extensive white edge, running the length of the wing which is visible in this shot.

I was hoping someone with the new book would appear. So in the new book, which of the two species (if any) on Sulawesi has the most extensive white in the med/lesser covts Andy?

I was hoping someone with the new book would appear. So in the new book, which of the two species (if any) on Sulawesi has the most extensive white in the med/lesser covts Andy?

Lesuer's and Sulaweis are almost the same but as I said, Lesuer's does not have the extensive white edging to the secondary (?) coverts which is clearly visible as a white line, running the length of the feathers.

Lesuer's also has a narrower brow than Sulawesi but not sure how apparent that should be?

Attachments

• rsz_pb240003.jpg
    rsz_pb240003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Going on the differences in Andy's linked plate, (which are different than the illustrations in the old field guide), I'd go for Sulawesi too.If my interpretation of the OP image is right, I think Andy's white line is the edge of a tertial, which matches Sulawesi and not the other one (whatever you want to call it!) It.

Any more pics Mr P? Even if mostly obscured they might show a different part of the wing or the rump

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input thus far, much appreciated.

We were using the generally excellent Eaton et al guide, but this bird caused split opinion. Unfortunately no more pics because this one dropped straight out of the back of the tree immediately after this shot, and never reappeared.

mr.p

Looking at a couple of images of White-shouldered (unknown location), and I'm no longer sure it can be excluded using that white tertial edge... But maybe birds on Sulawesi are different....

Looking at a couple of images of White-shouldered (unknown location), and I'm no longer sure it can be excluded using that white tertial edge... But maybe birds on Sulawesi are different....

Thanks Larry

Yes, photos suggest both species options are quite variable, and see for example the comments here, which I checked for comparative photos:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2305&Bird_Image_ID=82577

Any further opinions gratefully received.

mr.p

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back