• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India Warbler ID-2 ... ? (1 Viewer)

aloktewari

Opus Editor
Supporter
India
Location : Sat Tal, Alt. 5500 ft., Dist. Nainital, Kumaon, Uttarakhand Himalayas, India.

Date: 14.11.2019 ; 5.07 pm

Attachments

• DSCN3878 (2).JPG
    DSCN3878 (2).JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN3885.JPG
    DSCN3885.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 45
We had captured male Slaty-blue FC ... a little before this capture ... just as additional info ...

It isn't Rufous-gorgeted. (I know you didn't say it was, just trying to avoid confusion)

Good point - I can see how that might have been confusing.

I'm really struggling with this bird and I can't believe both images show the same individual. Female/immature Slaty-blue is about the closest I can get but it doesn't look right, and female Grey Bushchat has a broader throat wedge and doesn't tend to cock its tail afaik.

Images

They are very poor images with a lot of photographic effect at play exaggerating colours/features. This is the nearest I could find, though this individual does not have such an obvious pale throat. https://ebird.org/india/checklist/S50856366

Grahame

No color manipulation has been done ... images, only, sharpened to make them comment-worthy ... taken in fading evening twilight ... of the same bird ... image 1 - 5.07.26 and 2 - 5.07.50 pm
Best regards ...
Alok.

Attachments

• DSCN3877.JPG
    DSCN3877.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 19
That confirms 1st-winter Slaty-blue.

Is the other image in post no. 1 really the same bird?

There was a water bath where the bird dipped once ... sat on the perch in image 1 ... went into the adjoining bush for a few seconds ... came out and went to another small puddle partially hidden behind the stone ... peeping its head out ... better focused but only partially seen ... that is all I can say about them being the same or otherwise ...
Regards ...
Alok.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back