• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebirds Barbados Dec 1 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I was out and about today. I would like to see if I got these right; Am Golden Plover; Black-bellied Plover; Lesser Yellowlegs (for this one I did consider Solitary Sa) and in the last image Least Sand and Semipal Sand (behind the other).

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Plover P1140790.jpg
    Plover P1140790.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 134
  • Plover 2 P1140710.jpg
    Plover 2 P1140710.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Tringa P1140772.jpg
    Tringa P1140772.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Peeps P1140822.jpg
    Peeps P1140822.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 113
Thank you both.
Regarding the somewhat hidden SeSa: I have a series of photos with the bird almost equally hidden in all. One of the other photos show the upperside as quite evenly grey but hides the head.

Niels

Thank you both.
Regarding the somewhat hidden SeSa: I have a series of photos with the bird almost equally hidden in all. One of the other photos show the upperside as quite evenly grey but hides the head.

Niels

To the extent that they (semi-/Western) are separable at this time of year, I think key are bill shape and breast sides

1 looks like another Black-bellied (Grey) Plover to me e.g. long bill, streaking on sides and lack of darker crown.

Right now, I only want to comment on the bill: it seems a different shape to me? Does anyone else have comments to the above?

Thanks
Niels

Leaning towards Western on #4 based on attenuated bill tip with slight droop. Not sure about Barbados, but Western is quite common in Winter on the East Coast of North America when Semipalmated is virtually absent.

One more photo of the first bird

Niels

It’s definitely a BBPL. The bill is too large/bulbous and the supercillium too weak, structurally etc. Everything is BBPL about it, not denying that they can be tough to tell apart but it’s not that ambiguous in this case. I misidentified one in the field just the other day until looking at the photos I thought for sure it was AMGP. I didn’t have a scope and I screwed up the ID.

I think this is a good basic Golden Plover for comparison https://images.app.goo.gl/SM8omtnPrQKWd9z89
If you’re into subtle ID points note how long the tibia is too. Always longer than BBPL. Thinner body, longer wings and accentuated overall structure.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back