Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Rakali work out how to safely eat Cane Toads ! .... Life Finds a Way ! :)

Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 11:21   #1
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up Rakali work out how to safely eat Cane Toads ! .... Life Finds a Way ! :)

The Australian Native Water Rat - the Rakali has worked out how to safely eat the invasive feral pest Cane Toad.

These ingenious creatures use elaborate dissection techniques to avoid the toxic parts of the Cane Toad - perhaps they'd be good enough to teach them to the rest of our little predators :)
https://theconversation.com/eat-your...EBNKeAJU5JUfZI

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakali

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th October 2019, 08:01   #2
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Another report with pictures showing the surgical precision of the ingenious Rakali in despatching poisonous feral pest Cane Toads
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...cus_composer=0

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/4...HTHc29LVSa0SYY

Chosun

Old Thursday 24th October 2019, 17:43   #3
Jon Turner

The chilling bit of this report is that there are "billions and billions of Cane Toads" so work will have to go on to find a real solution.
Old Thursday 24th October 2019, 17:56   #4
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
The chilling bit of this report is that there are "billions and billions of Cane Toads" so work will have to go on to find a real solution.
Seems like an obvious application for the appropriate version of the chytrid fungus. Has anyone been doing any research on these types of biocides?

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th October 2019, 18:26   #5
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
Genetically engineer/train Ferrets to deal with the toads in the same manner, then release them into the wild to do the job on a grander scale.
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 01:19   #6
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Genetically engineer/train Ferrets to deal with the toads in the same manner, then release them into the wild to do the job on a grander scale.
Sounds like a rerun of the idea that Mongoose would be great for Cane rat control in Hawaii.
Trouble was, the rats are nocturnal, the Mongoose diurnal, so they flourished side by side, at the expense of the native flora and fauna.
Ferrets are smart enough to find local warm blooded prey tastier and less bother than toxic toads.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th October 2019, 03:22   #7
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Sounds like a rerun of the idea that Mongoose would be great for Cane rat control in Hawaii.
Trouble was, the rats are nocturnal, the Mongoose diurnal, so they flourished side by side, at the expense of the native flora and fauna.
Ferrets are smart enough to find local warm blooded prey tastier and less bother than toxic toads.
Introducing yet another foreign animal here is the same sort of thinking that got us to this point in the first place.
I also don't think a fungus is risk free enough either that it won't cause unintended collateral damage and consequences.

It is pretty chilling to think of Cane Toads in the Billions, and noble as the Rakali's efforts are they aren't going to make a dent in that or even stop the spread in the face of favourable weather events. It is a plus that at least they are not another in a long list of natives that are being decimated by the Cane Toad poison.

With the way we've treated the environment by drying an area the size of France and Germany in the Murray-Darling Basin, the Rakali are facing an uphill battle and potential local extinctions anyway (especially factoring in the predatory effects of feral Cats and Foxes) ......

Go the Rakali !

Chosun

Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 19:37   #8
dantheman
Bah humbug

Think I got you both there ...

Not funny really though I have to admit, quite depressing really.

I suppose another wacky alternative would be robots - the technology and techniques for mass producing solar powered semi-intelligent, semi-autonomous Cane Toad hunting robots would presumably comfortably exist in less than ten years time at a do-able cost. On an extremely limited local scale only however in practical terms.

I guess a Rakali breeding and release program would be better.
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 23:45   #9
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Think I got you both there ...

Not funny really though I have to admit, quite depressing really.

I suppose another wacky alternative would be robots - the technology and techniques for mass producing solar powered semi-intelligent, semi-autonomous Cane Toad hunting robots would presumably comfortably exist in less than ten years time at a do-able cost. On an extremely limited local scale only however in practical terms.

I guess a Rakali breeding and release program would be better.
Actually, I think that the most promising option would be to engineer a rakali variant that is dependent on the toad poison to survive, sort of like Monarch butterflies here in the US are grown on milkweed, which is toxic to almost everyone else. Not sure the genetic engineers are able to deliver that as yet, but it sure seems inevitable, for better or for worse.

Old Tuesday 26th November 2019, 11:46   #10
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation Tough life for the Rakali - conflict with Platypus sees Rakali drowned !

Very interesting recounting of a Rakali encounter with a Platypus where it seems the Rakali bit off more than it could chew !
https://www.australiangeographic.com...Kpg6uUJc_Rgm6c

I wonder if such 'conflicts' or competition for resources is on the increase given the appalling state of our waterways and wetlands ...... ?

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 06:39   #11
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

I learned on a recent visit to the Atherton Tablelands that Quolls are being trained to avoid Cane Toads.

It at least stops the Quolls dying even if ti doesn't control the Cane Toads.

Hong Kong: Chinese Grey Shrike, Japanese Night Heron, White-tailed Robin (478)
Greater China: European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis, Japanese Night Heron (974)
Lifer: Tennessee Warbler, Copper Pheasant, Japanese Night Heron
Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 06:55   #12
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinHK View Post
I learned on a recent visit to the Atherton Tablelands that Quolls are being trained to avoid Cane Toads.

It at least stops the Quolls dying even if ti doesn't control the Cane Toads.
Yes, I believe small doses of Cane Toad in a sausage mix - kind of like a big hangover that swears them off them !

I saw a doco once on Northern Quolls - such a precarious existence for the whole species ..... short lives - even shorter breeding spans - the usual introduced predators, and such low densities that some individuals live and die without ever having mated !

Fingers crossed ........

Chosun

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: