• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat, South-east Armenia Sept 2019 (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
Photographed near Goris. According to Shirihai and Svensson Eastern/Siberian Stonechat variegata breeds in this part of Armenia, Common Stonechat rubicola being found in the north of the country. I think I see a few flank streaks which would eliminate variegata and the orange wash of the underparts is too extensive as well isn't it?
Opinions welcome:t:

Attachments

• stonechat goris 1.jpg
    stonechat goris 1.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Stonechat goris2.jpg
    Stonechat goris2.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 33
  • stonech.jpg
    stonech.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Stonechat sp Armenia.jpg
    Stonechat sp Armenia.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 31
Variegata would show white in tail too Rich. Common for me

The underwing pattern also confirms its rubicola, the black/blackish restricted to the primary underwing-coverts contrasting with greyish-white inner underwing coverts, while in Siberian/Eastern the underwing coverts would be solidly black.

Grahame

A friend and I recently discussed stonechats in Armenia, as we had both, during separate visits from each other, struggled to find any variegatus at all, yet found rubicola European Stonechat to be not uncommon in the country. I seem to recall reading that this is a recent situation, with rubicola having spread into Armenia? Not sure how accurate this is off the top of my head.
Here are a few shoddy record shots I managed to take of birds that I, perhaps incorrectly, considered to be male variegatus, for comparison with the subject bird.
Regards,
Harry

Attachments

• Male 'Caspian Stonechat' (variegatus) Armenia May 2015_HH_2.jpg
    Male 'Caspian Stonechat' (variegatus) Armenia May 2015_HH_2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Male 'Caspian Stonechat' (variegatus) Armenia May 2015_HH_3.jpg
    Male 'Caspian Stonechat' (variegatus) Armenia May 2015_HH_3.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Male 'Caspian Stonechat' (variegatus) Armenia May 2015_HH_1.jpg
    Male 'Caspian Stonechat' (variegatus) Armenia May 2015_HH_1.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 18
Plus a pic of a bird that I considered to be a male rubicola.
Regards,
Harry

Attachments

• male presumed rubicola European Stonechat Armenia May 2015_HH_1.jpg
    male presumed rubicola European Stonechat Armenia May 2015_HH_1.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back