• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear from Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

mladvas

I am looking for opinions on this wheatear. What species and what age is the bird?
Thanks

Attachments

• 73528692_2525302640917213_1199943742866325504_o1.jpg
    73528692_2525302640917213_1199943742866325504_o1.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 118
fresh autumn male eastern black-eared wheatear. please specify location and date, that always helps.
I disagree that "it helps", you should be able to have an opinion just based on the features from that perfect image. Otherwise your opinion is pointless to me

I fear your responses to two of the most respected contributors to the Bird identification threads on Birdforum are not going to encourage them, or others to help you.

My pleasure. Perhaps I was a bit grumpy there......To me, that ‘scaly’ look to the mantle and that only faint orangey wash below suggest Pied Wheatear , but as you no doubt know, there are hybrid Pied x Black-eared in parts of Bulgaria which muddies the water somewhat.

I disagree that "it helps", you should be able to have an opinion just based on the features from that perfect image. Otherwise your opinion is pointless to me
Seriously !!! ... Location and time of year helps ...any info helps ... have your opinion by all means ..but its a bird i.d forum ... W*F !!!

The guidelines clearly state the protocol.

If you wish for help then it might be best to comply? There are some of the best birders in the UK willing to assist but not if you are going to be arsey:t:

Laurie -

The guidelines clearly state the protocol.

If you wish for help then it might be best to comply? There are some of the best birders in the UK willing to assist but not if you are going to be arsey:t:

Laurie -

True! And arguably the most valued opinion regarding wheatears that exists full stop! Apart from the minor detail that his artworks and texts are superlative in this respect.

And regarding "perfect photos", well its a nice photo indeed but not perfect for ID - for example your bird showing an open tail could help enormously ;)

If you want to try and work out the ID yourself, you can see some Pied Wheatear artwork from this thread's contributor here: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/FACING-PAGE-Male-Pied-Wheatears-Oenanthe-pleschanka-left-hand-birds-and-tails-and-male_fig1_321854101 Note that this is from "older work" ;)

Last edited:
There are some of the best birders in the UK willing to assist but not if you are going to be arsey:t:

Lou commented on this bird, last I checked he wasn't from the UK. Plus there's a lot of knowledgeable posters on here, people like Killian Mullarney, Andrea Corso, Thibaut Chansac to name but three, who are also from outside the UK. There's plenty of respected ID posters who are British, of course, but please don't make out that that's the only ones worth listening to. 😉

There's plenty of respected ID posters who are British, of course, but please don't make out that that's the only ones worth listening to. ��

Agree wholeheartedly though I think it was just an innocent oversight, though one that can stir the soul for sure!

I didn’t suggest that Harry - wind your neck in we’re all on the same side mate. I was irritated by the tone of the poster.

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back