• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery falcon (?) in Birmingham, England (1 Viewer)

pigsonthewing

A friend (a novice birder) describes a bird, seen this morning over a semi-rural area of Birmingham:

small falcon, not a Kestrel, long tail, pointed 'v' wings in flight, key key key cry as it was flying (not hovering).
Andy ideas, please? I thought it might be a Pergrine, but she thinks it too small.

As it was calling at this time of year I'd be inclined to think like Jane that this might after all be a Kestrel. (Edit: or an escape as Andy suggests)

We do very occasionally get Merlins overflying the suburbs here in Peterborough but its unusual and the city is right on the edge of prime fenland wintering habitat where they are regularly sighted. I've never heard a report of one calling around here.

If it certainly is not a Kestrel then Peregrine would be my next best bet. Size really can be very hard to judge.

HTH

Then again, why not Sparrowhawk? They can look very pointy-winged when they want to, and the long tail and situation fits better than Merlin. Long tail sounds a lot like Kestrel though, and they are noisy b*ggers sometimes.

Definately sounds like a kestrel to me. I agree with the long tail view of Jane and the call sounds like Kes. As jane says they dont always hover!
----------------------
PJ

I live and work in Birmingham. Good chance it was a peregrine there are often sightings in the city centre, and I saw a couple just the other day flying around the University clock tower.

Jane Turner said:
I'd be wondering why its not a Kestrel I have to say... they don't hover all the time

They'd not get far if they always hovered!
I didn't get where I am today by always hovering!!

CJ

B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back