• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

W. North Carolina Buteo (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Seen this evening in bottomland habitat over a small stream, pasture on one side, mature woods on the other. Of course, I was never able to get any other photos or the i.d. might be more straightforward. I want to say juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk but having a hard time ruling out juvenile Red-tailed.
Help!

and thanks-

Steve

Attachments

• Hawk 1.jpg
    Hawk 1.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Hawk 2.jpg
    Hawk 2.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 68
  • Hawk 3.jpg
    Hawk 3.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 79
Thanks, guys. I had a local experienced birder also go for Red-shouldered. Any consideration given to the widths of the tail band colors?

Steve

They seem apparent in my photo, Jim, but not all online pics of a juv. RSHA show those white lines so I guess I never paid them much attention. Thanks -

Steve

I agree with Jim M. Red-shouldered Hawk. You can see the checkering on the primaries (Pardon me, secondaries!)|:S| in the 1st and 2nd pictures and the narrow white tail bands in the same pictures.

Bob

Last edited:
They seem apparent in my photo, Jim, but not all online pics of a juv. RSHA show those white lines so I guess I never paid them much attention. Thanks -

Steve

Would be interested to see an example of what you are referencing. There are lots of misidentified photos online!

One example of a site I used is Cornell's:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-shouldered_Hawk/id
On this page, the first photo of a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk (photo 1 of 12) is shown next to a adult Red-shouldered Hawk (photo 1 of 8). The rear view of the Red-tail looks similiar to the bird in my photo.
What further confused me is the barely visible view of fine barring on the white of the upper chest in my third posted photo. Photo 4 of 12 on Cornell's site shows heavy markings in that area on the juvenile Red-shouldered.

JANJ, thanks for the links. The wet juvenile RSHA on the first site also shows those markings on the upper chest that appear more as spots than fine streaks.

Understand that I am not arguing any of the points made in this thread, just explaining why I was having difficulty in determining the species. Interestingly enough, in the next few days, I saw both adult Red-tailed and adult Red-shouldered near our house. Today, the cold and steady rain will likely preclude any more sightings if for no other reason than I will be positiioned close to the wood stove and watching the birds at our feeders!

Steve

One example of a site I used is Cornell's:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-shouldered_Hawk/id
On this page, the first photo of a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk (photo 1 of 12) is shown next to a adult Red-shouldered Hawk (photo 1 of 8). The rear view of the Red-tail looks similiar to the bird in my photo.

The young RTHA in the photo you reference doesn't show the barring/bands we are talking about, and that a young RSHA does and is shown in the photos of your bird. I just want to make this clear because I know it took me awhile to see just what is being referenced. Also, though they may be worn as in the photos JanJ helpfully linked to, they should always be present

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back