• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any idea of PLDS binoculars Model 70650? (1 Viewer)

tviano

Hi,
I've had this pair of binoculars for well over 30 years (there are ticket stubs in the case from 1989!).

They were my grandfathers, and I started wondering how old they are. I've found similar looking on the web, but not the same. They have these markings:

P.L.D.S
Coated Optics

7X50
7.1 degrees
No 70650

The cap on the hinge (spine?) says Made in Japan and what appears to be the letters KM.

Any info or other ideas of where to look find out more would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• Binocular1.png
    Binocular1.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Binocular2.png
    Binocular2.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 31
Hello,

Here is a wild guess. It was a store label from P.... L... Department Stores.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I can't help you with your bins but I did want to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BF ;)

A standard 7x50 Porroprism binocular.

KM might be Kamakura Japan?

Regards,
B.

It is probably a store or company brand. The JB number near the axle on the objective end of most Japanese binos would say much. JB-133 is Kamakura. The photo you attached is too small and dark to make out. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
It is probably a store or company brand. The JB number near the axle on the objective end of most Japanese binos would say much. JB-133 is Kamakura. The photo you attached is too small and dark to make out. :cat:

Bill

Yes. I was having problems getting a decent photo that I could upload. I tried another pic. What's a "JB" number?

Attachments

• MadeInJapanKM.jpg
    MadeInJapanKM.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 17
Hi tviano,

The 'JB' markings were part of a Japanese optical industry export marketing programme that started in 1959

See the attached advertisement, along with some more detail from the introduction to a list of the codes and manufacturers (which is also attached),
from Peter Abraham’s europa website at: http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm

John

Attachments

• JB Meaning.jpg
    JB Meaning.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 10
  • jbcode europa.com.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 4
  • More Detail.jpg
    More Detail.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I have edited the image below to improve visibility of the printing a little.

On the left cover we have PLDS and Coated Optics, while on the right, 7x50, 7.1deg and what appears to be a serial nmber, 70650.

Lee

Attachments

• Binocular1.png
    Binocular1.png
    214.5 KB · Views: 10
I have edited the image below to improve visibility of the printing a little.

On the left cover we have PLDS and Coated Optics, while on the right, 7x50, 7.1deg and what appears to be a serial nmber, 70650.

Lee

Thanks for doing that. That is exactly what it says.

Hi tviano,

The 'JB' markings were part of a Japanese optical industry export marketing programme that started in 1959

See the attached advertisement, along with some more detail from the introduction to a list of the codes and manufacturers (which is also attached),
from Peter Abraham’s europa website at: http://www.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm

John

The more I get into this, the more it's like an onion. I really appreciate the info. There are so many layers of info on this. It's kind of like a detective story.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back