• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID in New Mexico (1 Viewer)

ColleenT

Hi-
Maybe someone can help me with what is probably a pretty elementary birding question. I live about one hour south of the Colorado- New Mexico border and saw a hawk last night that I am having trouble identifying.
Large bodied, like a buteo, not a particularly long tail, light enitrely underneath on wings and body, no markings that I could see.
The most striking characteristic was it's dark head, brown but noticably reddish.
I thought I would surely be able to ID it with my guide, but I'm stumped. Forgive me, but I'm curious.
Thanks for your replies. I also am a new member so if I'm making a mistake, let me know.
Colleen

Hi Colleen and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Not going to hazard a guess on your mystery bird, but I can assure you someone will be along shortly with some suggestions.

Ferruginous is a possibility, but so is light morph Red-tailed Hawk.

The one constant about the birds we fail to identify--the ones that "get away"-- is a sense of frustration. Nearly as constant is the vow to look harder at the "right" parts next time.

Watch for rusty legs making a Vee on the underside of a flying Ferruginous (and not always present!).

Good Birding!

Phalarope

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back