• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Cardinal or Pyrrhuloxia (North Texas) (1 Viewer)

Brookie

Based on the bill shape and color, I'm basically convinced that these are female northern cardinals. I'm not sure they are the same individual bird, but they were taken in the same place on two consecutive days, where loads of cardinals and other birds were taking advantage of deer corn.

I deleted several blurry photos before referring to the books based on an assumption they were cardinals. Having looked at the books, I was surprised how similar the female pyrrhuloxia are to female cardinals. I'm just curious to know whether there are any reliable field marks other than bill shape and color to distinguish pyrrhuluxia from female cardinals. Thanks as always for the collective wisdom.

Incidentally, the location was on ranch land outside Caddo, Texas, between Dallas and Amarillo.

Attachments

• DSC_1157_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_1157_edited-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_1316_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_1316_edited-1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 182
Female Northern Cardinals.

In addition to the bill shape and color, I believe that the Pyrrhuluxia tend to have a blunter bill and a more slender crest than the Northern Cardinals.

Agree on female Northern Cardinal based on coloring and beak. Also, Pyrrhuloxia would be out of its normal range. Closest to your location reported in February's Great Backyard Bird Count was at Water Valley which is between San Angelo and Midland.

Gary

Thanks for the confirmation. It does make me wonder how many times I've passed birds off as "obvious" female cardinals in south and west Texas without looking closely at the bill. Guess I'll look a little more closely in the future.

Thanks for the confirmation. It does make me wonder how many times I've passed birds off as "obvious" female cardinals in south and west Texas without looking closely at the bill. Guess I'll look a little more closely in the future.

Also look to see if it has a black mask or red mask. Both male and female Northern Cardinals are going to have a black mask while the Phyrroloxia's are red.

I had thought I was going out to Marathon, Fort Davis and the Big Bend area in February to do some bird watching and was looking forward to seeing and getting some photos of Phyrroloxia's and several other species we don't have around here, but something has come up and looks like it's not going to happen.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back