• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Used Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

From the previous posts, it seems that 8x30/33 are favoured by almost half. If anyone named two, I counted that as a half, so I count 8 out of 17.This small sample is counter to current wisdom that the 32mm binoculars are unpopular. Of course, I count eleven North Americans and one post by someone who spends time in Barbados, which might skew results to the smaller objective.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Over here in the UK 32mm binos are increasing in popularity. I see Opticrons as often as I see Swaros and Opticron sell more 32s than 42s and one of our most prominent dealers, Cley Spy, reports that they easily sell many more EL SV 32s than 42s.

Lee

Probably my Swarovski 8x32 SV FP although I have been using my Swarovski 10x32 SV FP a lot lately. When you carry a binocular all day you really appreciate size and weight.

Swarovski SLC B 7x42 (2003 with Swarobrite Neu coatings) and a Leupold Gold Ring 9x35 1st Generation Model #52277 Japanese made IF 7.3º FOV porro (1983; factory refurbished 2007).

Last edited:
Love using my Vortex Razor HD 8x42 - one of the last Made in Japan copies. But often grab my wife's 25-year-old Nikon E 8x30s - they still look great.

A toss-up between my Zeiss Victory 7x42s and my Swarovision 8x32s. I use the former more when doing research, and the latter more when I'm teaching. It seems that no matter which pair I carry on a given day, at some point I'll wish I had the other. I have the same problem with scopes, between a straight Zeiss 65mm Diascope and an angled Zwaro 95mm ATX.

Docter Nobilem 10x50 Porro.
A tad heavy to carry with you but a pleasure to have at hand for any observation. Got a swiss surplus heavy canvas pouch to carry it comfortably over longer distances - just not around my neck. Surprisingly bright in low light conditions. Having had only 7x magnification before I don't want to miss 10x for specific objects anymore. It's not shaky or something. The weight makes it easier to hold steady.

Typically I'd be looking at deer, forests, birds, aircrafts, landscapes, coastlines, vessels and such. Sometimes at the full moon or night sky as well.

Last edited:
Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and Leica Ultravid BL 8x42. That's because all my other bins are in a container working its way through the Panama Canal. Otherwise it would be Zeiss 8x25 and Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42.

The older pre SV 8,5x42 EL Swarovski here. Serves me best on all occasions however the weight is starting to get to me and dusk/dawn watching is only 25% of my birding at best. So planning on getting a 8x32 SV somewhen in the future.
The wife uses a 8x25 pocket, this one gets the most use because the 8,5x42 gets left at home for casual walks/trips but the pocket is -always- with us.

The older pre SV 8,5x42 EL Swarovski here. Serves me best on all occasions however the weight is starting to get to me and dusk/dawn watching is only 25% of my birding at best. So planning on getting a 8x32 SV somewhen in the future.
The wife uses a 8x25 pocket, this one gets the most use because the 8,5x42 gets left at home for casual walks/trips but the pocket is -always- with us.

I've actually been interested in trying to pick up one of the pre-SV 8.5x with the faster focus. I had a 10x42 with the slower focus and still remember finding it strong optically. The 8x32 SV is great and seems to be growing as one of the most popular alphas I see around.

The 8x25 Pocket is far and away the first one I pick up for most of my uses, to the extent that it made my 7x42 UV HD expendable - sadly enough for my bank account...

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back